Thread: Inlaws mean dog

Hybrid View

Welcome to PT!
    If they are not willing to seek behavioral help or even listen to suggestions I would say that the choices you listed are about the only choices you have.

Good luck and hope your hand heals fine.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I forgot to mention

We have two other dogs. The first is a very mild-mannered American Jindo named Missy who normally would not hurt a fly. We recently were given an 8 month-old Yorkshire terrier puppy, and Missy has taken to the puppy like it is her baby. On several occasions, the puppy has irritated my in-laws' dog who, in turn, snapped at the puppy. Since then Missy has been snapping at the bijon. This was the first excuse my in-laws used for his behavior. I told them that this behavior has been on-going long before Missy started snapping at him, and that the dynamics between the animals has no bearing on this dog's behavior toward humans. Regardless, thanks for your input!
    Last edited by larbabe; 06-14-2006 at 04:21 PM.

I'm sorry that this is happening. I know that Bichon Frise are never supposed to show any kind of agression. Perhaps something else could be bothering him? Could it be physical? Also I know that there might be some little behaviour thing of yours or of another family member that could be causing him to do this. It is very hard to tell without seeing it. Is there any way you could upload a video so we can see? Sometimes it is the littlelest thing that is setting the dog off.

Niño & Eliza

I think I misquoted Bichon "Frise"

I removed the Frise. I think he is a Bijon Bijay (spelling?). I agree that this is not the normal behavior of the breed. My inlaws had another Bijon who recently passed away, and which was a wonderful dog. I don't have a video of him, but I believe I've listed the circumstances and behavior appropriately. The dog was given to my inlaws approximately five years ago by their son. Although I have no evidence of this, it is possible that the dog might have been mistreated by his ex-wife. My inlaws are elderly and I know for a fact they have not mistreated the dog (nor have my wife or I), but they also have not been firm or consistent with him either. Believe me, the dog has always been in charge. It has growled and snapped at them when they have also tried to move him, but they have not attempted to deal with the behavior. I believe the biting could have happened to any one of us; I just happened to be the first.

Oh I know you're not mistreating him but I just meant little things you don't even notice you are doing. I'm not sure I know the breed, what does he look like? I'm sorry I can't help you, I don't know much about dog behaviour, only what I learned from my own dog.

Niño & Eliza

I have a picture of him

But I don't know quite how to post it here. I can try to email it directly to you.

is there any way you could ask them if you could take him to an obedience class or have they already said no? if you don't feel comfortable handling him I understand.

Unfortunately

They are very defensive about the dog. In addition, I am not around him nearly as much as the other members of the family. I work full time and the drive to work is one hour each way, which leaves mostly weekends. As I understand it, dog obedience does not work unless all family members are consistent in the behavior corrections. The final factor is, you are right, I do not care for the dog, especially after last evening.