I have been fostering kittens for about a year now. I help out a great non profit organization that take in kittens from barns or bad situations and put them in foster homes and give them shots and vet care. I really love it and feel like I am helping animals in need.

The problem is - Pixel. She is my 2 year old calico and she hates other cats/kittens. I have 2 other cats, Kyo and Shadow. Shadow is 14 and doesn't really care one way or another and Kyo is 1 year and absolutely loves the kittens and plays with each and every one of them. He even looks around the house for them when they leave.

I don't want Pixel to be upset, however. I do my best to make her life happy. I have a giant cat tree, shelves on the wall just for the cats to sleep on, and a lot of little scratch pads in each room. I even made her a little bed on a shelf on top of the fridge cause she seems to like being up high. I play with her but she gets upset with the kittens, I lock the kittens up so we have one on one time but the kittens get upset. I recently even built a "catio" attached to the window so she could sit outside whenever she wanted but that only seemed to make her realized there are neighbor cats and now she is obsessed with looking out the windows and get pissed off when she sees one. My window is basically in the neighbors yard so there is no hiding it. I put up bristleboard on all the windows so she couldn't look out T_T

I'm kinda at a loss now. I feel like I've done everything I possibly can to make her happy. I really don't want to give up fostering as the organization really needs the help but I also want my cats to be happy. Pixel recently got urinary crystals, the vet originally thought it was from stress but when they found all the crystals they said it's something that just happens to some cats. I'm a little worried the stress caused it though. She is on special vet food now.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone where you were able to help the cranky cat be happy? I plan to take a few weeks break after my current 2 kittens go to give her "time off" but I am hoping to foster again. Usually I don't have the kittens long but these last 2 I've had for 3 months now. Not sure why no one wants them!!