Sorry if the thread title is confusing. im still unsure of what to call it. but if you were to adopt or foster a leery and shy dog how would you go about getting them to like you and gaining their trust?

When my parents and i went an met Kirby he was 2 1/2years old an he was very friendly in yo face greetings an sillyness. normal for most Poodle greetings. he even started doing zoomies around us after a couple minutes LOL for the ride home i put him in a crate that we brought with us. it was a long ways home too,, like a 2hour trip. when we got home an i opened the door on the crate he didnt want to come out. so i sat down a ways away from the crate an softly called his name while patting my lap,, after a few moments he came over to me an flopped in my lap. he became a velcro dog from then on out.

but something tells me if i were to adopt a leery an shy dog that they wouldnt be so quick to like or trust me like that. so for any of you who has taken in a leery an shy dog could you share how an what you did to help the dog blossom into a dog that trusts an likes you? i do know it is something that takes time an depending on the dog it may take more or less time based on situation/s an the dogs personality. but aside from that i dont know much else.

reason why im asking is... well this:

im looking for walking/jogging or biking buddy an shes up on Craigslist with a re-homing fee an spay contract saying shes shy so re-homing will be rough on her. potty/crate trained. good on leash. good around other animals an kids,, but leery of strangers. im not entirely new to the Australian Shepherd breed as i used to have a Aussie mix when i was kid. i know theyre a ready to please,, high energy an job driven breed an its not unheard of for the breed to be reserved around strangers. id love to take this girl in if i think shes a match for me,, but shes been up on Craiglists for a while now so the chances of her finding a home by the time i make up my mind is pretty high,, but i think its better to ask an get information than to jump before looking.

i also have to convince my parents about getting another dog an i know i have my work cut out for me in this department as the loss of previous pets have hit everyone hard. may take quite a while or until im out on my own for me to be able to get another dog. but when the time comes at least i'll have a better idea if a shy/leery dog is presented again