I have waterproof mattress pads, well now just 1 because the other one got destroyed in the washing machine. Now I have started to put puppy pads down on the bed because I don't know what else to do to get her to try to to stop spraying the walls or peeing on my bed.

Since doing the puppy pads this week she hasn't had any peeing on the bed that I've noticed but once I removed them I watch her very carefully.

The vet recommended that I take her off the Prozac since it wasn't making a difference in her and to try to back off the pain meds since he believes it's behavorial and not medical.

I've cut down on her pain meds and so far she's sprayed I know that, I don't know how many times in a day she does that. But my mom helped clean my room and helped spray the walls, etc. and I think that helped.

I'm keeping a close eye on her and I started feeding her Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract For Cats. So far everyone at the house seems to like it. I think though Cleo needs some type of anixety drug to relax her and keep her calm and I will check about getting Ashley on some prozac or something as well because she gets worked up when Cleo is not even near her at times.

Cleo will use the box, now this morning I could tell she wanted to spray so I kinda followed her and watched her to see what she was doing. She finally laid down after I kept tell her no when she would go and try to spray. She knows that's not a good thing. She does use the litter box for peeing and I'm starting to wondering now since she hasn't peed on my bed since either Sunday or Monday if it was the pain meds causing her more trouble than good.

I did check with my ex to see if he would take her and he said no. I do feel that because we are all in one room that it's hard to get along but I do remember last July when I was in the apartment with all four cats that Cleo would chase Ashley. She does tend to chase my Claudia and she is 12 years old. I haven't seen her chase Athena which is about the only cat she seems to get along with. This is why I wonder at times if she were the only cat or had only one other cat in a house how she would react vs being with 3 other cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
I feel your pain. I really, really do. It is so frustrating that I considered having Mollie euthanized. As i believe so strongly in a no-kill world, I know that I would feel the ramifications of that act forever. BUT, I wanted to do it.

I went to a mattress store and bought 100% moisture protectors. 100%. I bought the king sized and cut them up to put them in favorite pee spots and I would use them on my bed, pinned with baby pins, all the time. Didn't cut down on the peeing BUT it saved my sanity by not having to wash the world every day.

Then, I put two cats on Prozac. I fought it long and hard, but finally did it. Mollie was ONE of my pee'rs, but I had two others doing it in reaction to Mollie. This drastically cut down on my peeing situation, but by no means did it eliminate it. I would clean up 3 -4 times daily poop and pee in my kitchen. Thankfully, it was on linoleum, but still.

I think it is possible you have a cat with both medical AND behavioural issues. I have a cat that had the PU surgery. And, I still have a cat with frequent UTIs, possibly brought on by stress. Those are issues that need to be addressed, as in no way is it fair to 'blame' a cat for peeing outside the box in those conditions. They are cats, not humans that can reason, "yeah, it hurts when I pee, but I still pee in the toilet". Rarely, do stones seem to cause female cats problems. So, that is something you must figure out.

As to crating her, that HAS worked in retraining her. Does she EVER go in the box? That would be helpful to know. Does she dislike some cats? I swore by the plug-ins for a while....my mom uses some holistic cat treats that have something in them.

Bottom line- it is cat pee. It isn't the end of the world, even if it feels like it.

Edited, as I re-read your initial post. What about putting some of the other cats on Prozac? That actually worked for me. I never had Mollie (who is spay incontinent/leaks) on Prozac. I put my two other cats on it, and it calmed THEM down, which in turn, calmed Mollie down.