I am not a vet. BUT (LOL), this is what I was told by my wonderful holistic vet, and it makes sense to my small brain.

Imagine a line, just like this______________________________________.

Now, look at this:

INTOLERABLE/REACTIONS

TOLERABLE/NO REACTIONS

My dog has allergies- most likely environmental and food related. I didn't have the testing done to confirm what he has. The vet explained it to me that ALL the time, my dog has allergies. And, underneath the line, we are probably dealing with food related ones, and above the line, we are dealing with food related (still) AND seasonal allergies. When he crosses the line, it is usually cause his body just can't handle it all together. So, since I can't eliminate seasonal/external allergies, I focus on where that line is. I keep him on a limited ingredient food- including snacks/treats/table food. Top allergens- beef and chicken, and various grains. So, I have him on the lowest allergen- fish (and sweet potato). That keeps him beneath the line more than if I had him on beef and wheat food, for instance.

Then, for external/seasonal? I have him on one tab one time a day of claritin. I actually use Walitin...Walgreens generic formula.

How does it all work? Well, in high times of seasonal allergies, he still itches- somewhat. If I have given him a lot of junk- and not been careful with what I am feeding him, AND it is high allergen time? He gets itchy, more. But, overall? It is a relatively easy, financially affordable, situation.