Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
As for down sides, well no system is perfect, so we do get the hiccup now and again, but overall it works very well for everyone, and almost everyone is happy with it. Oh, you always get the people who don't agree with the system, but some people don't agree with anything....right??

As to why this system is so contentious in the US, then I'd have to agree with LH on that. We have a very strong economy here, and the government does keep the system going by injecting funds from revenues into it. So I suppose when your economy gets back on it's feet, then there will be less against and more FOR that kind of system.
I do hope you all get it there eventually...I think good health services should be available to all regardless of their situation money wise.
Okay, right, the debt problem means it is not going to happen overnight here, to say the least.

But why do so many "conservatives" believe that national health care is EVIL, period.. not good to let happen ever. "SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!" "DEATH PANELS!" "The Government will decide who lives and who dies!" (rather than the insurance companies, as happens now).

And how did you Australians, Brits, Canadians, others with national health care systems get the resources together to start your systems?