Quote Originally Posted by charlie116 View Post
I also read that big dogs shouldn't be exercised too much before their limbs are fully developed or they may form abnormalities. Is that true?
Yes. Danes should not have forced exercise until at least the age of 18 months, preferably 24 months. They should have plenty of exercise, but low impact exercise on a soft surface at their own will.

As far as bloating, danes should be kept calm and in a low stress situation an hour before as well as an hour after feeding, but really, that's not a guarantee that your dane will not bloat. One in four danes will bloat. Many of us in the dane world feel it has a genetic component to it and that if it's going to happen, it's going to happen...regardless of the precautions taken. It's still advisable to take the precautions, but just don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. Gastropexy is another thing you should research should you seriously consider owning a dane.

I have to leave for work now, but if it is a breed you are seriously wanting to learn tons about, I'd be happy to yap your ears off more when I get home tonight.