Thread: Training Help please

Threaded View

Training Help please

I would like some ideas how to handle the one and only "quirk" my foster bichon, Willy, has. He is 7 years old.

He is bossy. When he doesn't want to move, if you try to insist, he growls. If you persist, he will snap. If you walk away, he "won," he was rewarded for growling, so can't do that. So far, I can attach the leash to his collar and he will move.

There is a clear pattern to his "trigger." I am not sure how to modify his behavior long term.

Here are specific examples:
    1. Willy is napping in Dad's arms. Dad wants to get up. Willy doesn't want to move. If Dad insists on moving him, Willy growls. So Dad has to call me, I attach the leash and get him off.

2. We drive home from a nice walk at the conservation farm. The other 4 dogs get out of the car, Willy stays put. He is comfortable, resting his chin on the rim of a pet donut bed. I tell him come, out, call him, nothing. I reach over and rock his body, he growls. I have to get the leash and give a tug; then he moves.

3. Wake up in the morning and I get up. Willy won't use the stairs to the bed, and it is too high for him to jump down (he will / does, but sooner or later he could get hurt). I say Get UP! and the other 4 are up, down the stairs, off the bed. Willy stays put ( he MAY roll his eyes in my direction, lol). So I call him using his name: Willy, OFF! Nothing. If I reach toward him, he will growl. So I have to go get a leash, attach that and get him to the stairs and down.

Getting up on the bed in the evening, he tells me he wants up, by standing on his rear legs and hammering the mattress. He will allow me to pick him up and get him up there, no problem. Because that is what he wants!

Now, in every case, if I wanted to do something he likes, such as get up in the morning and say, WALKIES! He is happy to get down off the bed, no problem; he is promptly off Dad's lap.

I have considered setting up a crate. Each time he growls and I have to use the leash to move him, he goes in the crate for a time out. But I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

Ideas / suggestions appreciated!
    Last edited by Freedom; 07-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.