It was in our local newspaper that there were over 4,000 animals euthanized in 2009 at the local shelter. I read that and my heart nearly stopped. So, the animal shelter spoke with the city and they have decided to pass a Spay/Neuter Ordinance.

I believe it states any animals that one owns over 6 months old must be spayed or neutered. If they're not spayed or neutered and you don't intend on getting them spayed or neutered, you have to buy a special permit. They're saying the permit is only going to cost $25; however, the animal shelter director is saying it needs to be at least $100. If it's only a $25 permit, then a lot of people won't be spaying or neutering their animals, so I agree that the permit should cost more. Also, breeders may purchase a special breeder's permit to prevent them from having to spay/neuter their pets.

What do you all think? I'm all for supporting this and hoping it reduces the number of pets that will be euthanized, but I'm not sure if it will really help. There will always be a pet overpopulation and stupid people.