Thread: Pigeon aka Pidgelet aka Pidgie Pie

Threaded View

Pigeon aka Pidgelet aka Pidgie Pie

My green eyed lady began her trip to the Bridge around 11:00 AM today. I could tell that she was ready to go during the last couple of days and today she made it clear that she could hold on no longer. She went into acute renal failure and lost all control of her legs, so I helped her on her journey so that she could go peacefully and painlessly.

Pidgie came to me one spring day while I was outdoors playing w/my Border Collie Heidi. I saw a car slow down at the bottom of my driveway, a door opened and a cat was tossed out. I thought "Oh no, not another one" and she took off running. A little later I was picking red raspberries on the back of my property and each time I reached into the berry bush, I heard a meow, which sounded like a cooing pigeon, thus her name. When I searched, I saw her hiding in the bushes. I coaxed her out and saw that she was pregnant; not only that, but due to deliver her kittens at any time. I carried her back to my garage and she prematurely delivered three kittens, two of which were stillborn and the other died shortly thereafter. When I took her to the emergency clinic, she had every bug and worm that you could name. Surprisingly, her tests came back clean for all the bad diseases. So w/a lot of TLC and good vet care, I nursed her back to health. My vet guessed at her age then to be at about two and a half years old.

Her herstory is rather sketchy. My neighbor said that she was from a local farm, that the old farmer would kick her in the head if she got in his way and I believe it b/c she would never allow anyone to touch her head until just a few years ago. She would cringe and swat at your hand but never hiss. She was the most sweet natured cat I've ever seen. She would've made the perfect pet for a little girl.

She was definitely the matriarch of the Fur Posse and she kept my li'l Puddy Tat in line. When I first brought Puddy home at five weeks of age, she was a little terror and she tried to head butt Pidge who calmly placed her big paw on Puddy's head and held it to the floor until she calmed down. It's as if she were saying "You just relax, youngun". The love of her life, Boo Bear, was always close by and if he left the room, she was right behind him until she caught up w/him and then she walked beside him, always rubbing up against him as if to say "I love you, Boo Bear". He had been rather distant w/her the last couple of days. I think he, too, could tell that she was on her decline. When we left the house this morning, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a happy ending, so I took her around to the ones of the Fur Posse that I could find, Boo being the last. I said "Say goodbye to Pidgie, Boo Bear" and he turned his head away. He knew.

I'll miss her sweet face and her gentle touch as she tapped me on the arm, asking for just a little attention. Those green eyes looked as if she had the wisdom of the world behind them. She was a calm spirit, a loving companion and a good friend. She lived to be nearly 22 years old. This house will never be the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pidgelet with the sniffles.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	44528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Can't you see I'm resting.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	718.7 KB 
ID:	44529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0217.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	44530  
    Last edited by Medusa; 12-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11