Hi, many of you here don't know me, I usually post in Cat General. I have a question on behalf of my parents (Mom's in her early 70s, Dad's in his early 80s) and their dog -- an adorable black and white Border Collie, named Mickie. We got Mickie from a shelter about a year ago, she is now a little over 2 years old. At first we were more caught up in the recognition that she had been abused before she came into our homes. She's a lot more secure now, and belatedly we've noticed that she doesn't play. She will patiently watch as we roll balls past her and looks quizzically at us as we dangle doggie toys in front of her... delicately pushes them out of her bed if we force them upon her. Is this normal for a Border Collie? Or for formerly abused dogs? She is a quiet, loveable, patient dog. Do dogs NEED to play?

She seems happy enough otherwise, and we love to go for walks with her, but are concerned she's missing fun from her life. What can we do to make her more playful or is this an unreasonable goal now?

PS -- she seems puzzled by my cats, but they coexist pleasantly. Could they be inhibiting her?