Thread: My adopted dog did the unexpected!

Threaded View

My adopted dog did the unexpected!

Hi there! its been a long time since i've been here. Since that time Bug has gotten a BIG brother. He is a purebred weim adopted from Friends for Pets in LA. He has been the gentlest of animals. every now and then he lets you know "don't do that" all part of the learning about each other process. His history is unknown - but the scars and callouses are visible. When the FFP folks pulled him from the shelter in LA he had bad ears - they had been full of flies that were doing bad things to his ear flaps. He's healed now and has the softest ears and lets me touch and play with them.

So here's the unexpected... we went to the vet for the first time two days ago. the vet came in and he went over and greeted her, licked her chin and settled down right in front of her. When she went to use the stethascope on him he lashed out at her and snapped - coming darn close to her face as she was on the ground with him. i had him on lead with choke chain and pulled slightly - i was pretty taken aback too. she let him sniff the stethascope and talked to him and petted him so did i. (i also tightened my grip on lead) and low and behold he did it again when she went to listen to his chest. before this he had let her look at one of his ears. she went to look at the other after this (she was brave!) and he was having nothing of it. He would snap coming darned close to her arm and then settle right back down. She ended up having to take him in back to have the techs hold him. He did have an ear infection. She got it cleaned and gave me medicine to put in his ears. He let me do it once. but now is snapping at me too. and then he settles down and snuggles close as if to say "i'm sorry i snapped" Does anyone know of anyways i can break him of this? he's got to have the medicine but i'd like to keep my arm! i'm thinking of getting a muzzle for him, but it just seems like thats a band aid to the problem. Any ideas!???

His picture with bug is attached -

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images