Thread: My dog is kind of a wierdo, help me figure out whether she is part coyote/wolf.

Threaded View

My dog is kind of a wierdo, help me figure out whether she is part coyote/wolf.

Our dog Aewin is around three years old, and we adopted her from the animal shelter. The people there told us she was a siberian husky, but I'm pretty sure there's something else in there. Here's my reasoning:

1) She's smaller than the huskies I've seen, her whithers only come up to a couple inches below my knees, and she seems quite a bit more delicate, bone structure-wise. Her tail doesn't curl at all, even when it is raised (and I don't think I've ever seen it raised much higher than level with her body).

2) She never barked, up until a year or so ago, and I suspect it's because our terrier taught her how. Even now that she does bark, its more of an abbreviated howl. She howls whenever you look at her without saying or doing anything.

3) Her behavior is way different than dogs I've had before. She's very shy, but affectionate when she trusts you, and she does a wierd teeth clicking thing when she wants attention. She also has a strange idea of play; When alone she will pick up things like rugs or towels and just shake the hell out of them, but she will NEVER play with an object when she thinks someone is watching. The only way I've been able to play with her is to sort of pretend to pinch her feet, then she starts almost nipping, but not, and after a few minutes she will take off and just run circuits around the yard, then run full speed at me and change course at the last minute. She is very expressive in body language and facial expressions, far more so than any dog I've ever seen.

4) I've never seen a husky with a yellow tint to their fur, but maybe I haven't seen enough huskies.

The dog catcher found her in a town called Mesquite, which I imagine is a pretty good place for stray dogs and coyotes to meet. I doubt that she has any wolf because she's so small, but there are some wolf hybrid breeders in that area. *shrug*

Anybody have any ideas?

All help is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	29753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	29754