At the beginning of the month, my dear, sweet Pumkin was brought up from the southern States. She was left outside tied to a tire day and night and the people just kept trying to get rid of her so a rescue flew her up here and she became my foster girl.

We were told that she was mildly heartworm positive, had tooth decay, and there was something wrong with her leg. X-rays showed that her leg had been broken in the past and a large pin had been put in her leg that was actually poking her. Although she hobbled around on three legs, she always had a smile on her face and wanted to play with my dogs. We only had her for a week, but the change we saw in her was incredible. Initially, she wouldn't come near us and near the end, she would twirl around whenever somebody came home.

We had adopters lined up for her and everything and she was scheduled to start her heartworm treatment last Monday. However, further tests indicated that the worms were very, very severe. The worms had travelled to most of her organs, including her liver, lungs, and bladder. Her liver was barely functioning and a couple of vets told us that there was absolutely no chance of her surviving. We decided that the most humane thing to do was to have her euthanized and put an end to her pain, so last Saturday, June 17th, she was sent to the Bridge.

I can't believe her life was lost due to something that's 100% preventable. I hope whoever did this to her gets what they deserve. She certainly didn't deserve this.

Rest in Peace, my angel.