Gonzo was neutered for $75. Not at a spay/neuter clinic, at our very nice, huge, high-tech Vet's. They also boarded him for over a day, lasered him, and cared for him very well. I've never met any vets that charge $200 to neuter a dog, much less spay them. A couple years ago, my sister fostered an Aussie mix female and when she took her in to get spayed, they discovered that she was in the early stages of a pregnancy. Even having to abort puppies AND spay her, she payed $100, again to a very nice Vet and not at a speuter clinic.

There are at least a dozen spay/neuter clinics monthly in my area, and they charge $20 for male dogs and $30 for female dogs, or less. You cannot beat that! This is also California, where nothing tends to be very cheap. I think people just need to search more, and find a good Vet that isn't completely in the business for money... I've met a few of those, who WILL charge 2 or 3x the amount of a reputable Vet.

$200 IS a fairly good amount of money, but to be honest, we ALL spend that on an average shopping spree, for clothes that we'll keep for a year at best. Neutering/spaying your dog for the same amount as a few clothing items saves lives, including your dogs life.