Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg question

Hybrid View

Egg question

I have a question for anybody on here who is knowledgeable about animal nutrition.

Are thoroughly cooked eggs (no oil or butter) good for dogs - and what would be the maximum percentage of the diet which would be recommended for eggs?

I know that the American Heart Association has lifted their ban on eggs for human consumption. While, before, they thought they increased blood cholesterol to unsafe levels, studies have found that this isn't the case. Eggs are the most complete food found in nature - containing complete protein and every essential vitamin and mineral except for vitamin C.

Do eggs contain anything which is harmful to dogs?

The reason that I'm asking is that I have 24 chickens who have begun laying, and so I have a readily-available source of protein. I feed organically, and don't use any medications - so I know that these eggs do not contain any harmful chemicals. (These chickens have it made, by the way - so no "anti-chicken-raising sentiments" please. They have a wonderful triple-insulated and heated coop, very clean conditions, and lots of room. When the weather is warm they will be playing outdoors, well-protected from predators, during the day.)

I could sell excess eggs, but if they're good for Max I would like to give him as many as would be prudent.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you will give me!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Raw Eggs are NOT-- Cooked Eggs are very good for dogs. In fact, they are the most concentrated, valuable form of protein that a dog can get , as long as they are cooked. Apparently, raw egg whites bind to the biotin that a dog ingests and prevents it from being absorbed. Cooked eggs do not do this.

I got the above from another site...I let gracie have about a tablespoon of cooked egg this morning

raw eggs are great. my mom gets fresh eggs from her bosses wife's chickens for the dogs, we never cook them so I have no clue, but raw eggs are exellent for the coat
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Re: Egg question

posted by stacwase: (These chickens have it made, by the way - so no "anti-chicken-raising sentiments" please. >>>>>>

Send the left over eggs my way.

I always share my cooked egg breakfast with my dogs about 2 times a week. The rest of the week I eat bran cereal,
    "that I better not share."
    Eggs are fine, I always follow the golden rule of
    moderation.

----<---<--<{(@

I believe raw eggs are good but I think thats only if the dogs are on a raw diet...cooked eggs I'm not sure about. I wouldn't take any advice from myself though.

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

Our old vet always recommended adding raw eggs to their food- he said it was good for their coat too. He said to do it a couple times a week.

I checked with my vet who said it was fine to give Carina hard boiled eggs. She loves them. Because Carina had to shed several pounds, I mix her dry food with carrots and green beans, adding a hard boiled egg is an extra source of protein without too many calories.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Originally posted by GraciesMommy
    Raw Eggs are NOT-- Cooked Eggs are very good for dogs. In fact, they are the most concentrated, valuable form of protein that a dog can get , as long as they are cooked. Apparently, raw egg whites bind to the biotin that a dog ingests and prevents it from being absorbed. Cooked eggs do not do this.
    While this is true if you are only feeding egg white, when you feed the yolk along with it, it sort of "cancels it out."

Eggs shouldn't be fed more than a 1 or two times a week. Great for the coat!
    I've been BOO'd!

Great! I haven't heard anything which would prevent me from feeding eggs. Max eats 4 cups of dog food a day. If I gave him 4 eggs per day and cut down to 3 cups of food, I wonder if that would work. I'll have to count out the calories.

Thanks!

4 eggs per day may be a bit much, if you need to cut down calories try replacing part of the kibble with cooked green beans.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

i put a egg in kodies food once a week,its supposed to be good for their Skin and their fur. Thats why he has such a shiny coat

Originally posted by cali
    4 eggs per day may be a bit much, if you need to cut down calories try replacing part of the kibble with cooked green beans.
    At this point, he's getting the right amount of calories. Max is not overweight at all - he's extremely active. I just don't want to MAKE him overweight by giving him the eggs and not removing the appropriate # of calories from his kibble.

He's 87 lbs - I wish there was a reference where I could see what the right # of eggs would be, per pound of dog. KWIM?

I don't know how many eggs are ok, but 4 a day sounds a bit excessive to me for a dog or even a person.

I have to agree. Eggs are very high in cholesterol. More than a couple times a week is not good for the heart. Also, if a dog is getting 4 eggs a day and the same amount of kibble ever day there is no variety in that, meaning that he wouldn't be getting the proper amount of nutrients.
    I've been BOO'd!

Two a day? One?

Maybe I'll add one egg to each dish of food - that would be 2 eggs. I have heard of people giving 2/day and reporting very noticeable improvements in their dogs' coats. Any more input?

Wolfsoul - are you saying that dogs need variety? I thought that most of the people on this board were of the "feed high quality kibble and nothing else" mindset. I do give him dog snacks occasionally, and let him eat low-fat people food without harmful ingredients, but I had got the impression that most of the people on this board were against that.