Thread: My dog is trying to dig to China!

Hybrid View

My dog is trying to dig to China!

So, I am very into dog psychology and that has worked really well on my dog. She is really submissive to me and my kids, doesn't take food of the counter anymore or out of my kids hands, etc. However, when she is outside while the kids are playing, all she does is dig holes! I wouldn't mind so much, but with the kids, I want them to be able to run around the backyard without fear that they may twist an ankle. I ma having a hard time correcting her behavior because she just runs from me out there and I can't put her on a leash because she knocks the kids down. I would hate to pen her up in her own area because she loves to play with the kids. Any suggestions?

Dog training sounds like the answer

Sounds like she could use a little training. It might build some confidence in her. Some dogs just like to dig. Can you set aside one part of the yard for just digging? Toys? Is she bored? Maybe a little Prozac?

I am sure lots of folks will chime in to help you out.

I have a dog, but she doesn't dig, she rolls in things instead!

What breed is she and how old is she?

Some breeds do tend to dig, dig, DIG!

Taking her to some obedience classes should help, as well as giving her daily exercise. I walk my dogs 2 miles / 45 minutes daily.

She is a boxer/pitbull mix. We think she is about 8-9 years old. We have had her for 6 years. I have to admit that I don't take her for walks when the weather is cold I know, I'm a bad dog owner. But, she does get plenty of exercise playing with the kids. I know walks are best but, she doesn't dig if the kids are not out there playing with her. I guess they get her excited? Does that make sense? A dog only digging because of her excitement level?

Some dogs are born diggers. A few dog owners that I know swear that if you watch the dog closely everytime she's/he's outside and spot her/him digging you can take some of her/his poop and put it in the hole she just dug then fill it up again. Sometimes you will have to resort in picking up the poop and saving it but every time their dog dug a hole they proceeded in the same manner until in about two weeks the dog stopped digging, they won't ever dig up where they can smell their own doggie do and give up when they keep finding that smell wherever they try to dig. I've never tried it, my dogs didn't dig but they swear it works.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Maybe she is bored? Dogs usually dig when bored and not exercised properly.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..