Thread: ~all attention.. New bunny in our yard!~

Hybrid View

~all attention.. New bunny in our yard!~

We found a young wild "wabbit baby" in our yard yesterday morning. . It's not brown- it's more like tan. We named her Flower. because we found her in the flowers. Let's hope the neighbor's nasty dogs don't get her! We have fed her some, and she is hopping around in our yard like Carrot did. She is letting us hold her,i'm guessing she was one of Carrot's children... ( carrot was a girl, flower is another girl) Let's pray that she stays around awhile... and those nasty dogs stay AWAY from the RABBIT.

As she's a wild rabbit, you cannot let yourself get too attached to her unless you bring her inside. Wild rabbits are, simply put, prey species. It's not just the neighbor dogs, cats, and even wild birds like owls or hawks will kill and eat a rabbit, particularly a young one. Even if you build her a hutch, a rabbit can be literally frightened to death even if the predator cannot get to them, so don;t get your hopes up, okay?

We have a wild rabbit who hops through our yard from time to time, we have never tried to tame it or name it, we just keep cats out of the yard.
    I've Been Frosted

i know. we had the wild rabbit in our yard for a year, then the neighbors moved in.... bad luck for bunny.

I will not bring her indoors, but I MIGHT put a hutch out there, or i might build a fence area. ( in my backyard, I might get a small dog pen with a roof and put her in there) So at least she has a little room to hop. Max won't bother anything; he is too laid back. Playful but laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
    i know. we had the wild rabbit in our yard for a year, then the neighbors moved in.... bad luck for bunny.

I will not bring her indoors, but I MIGHT put a hutch out there, or i might build a fence area. ( in my backyard, I might get a small dog pen with a roof and put her in there) So at least she has a little room to hop. Max won't bother anything; he is too laid back. Playful but laid back.
    Okay, but keep in mind what I said earlier -- a rabbit can be frightened to death if they are in an outside enclosure and a predator is trying to get them. So she's still be at risk.
    I've Been Frosted

We got the dog pen up last night- then we chased her down, and placed her in, tempting her with food. She seems happy, and Max will just go and sniff, look at her, and go run around doing his own thing. She does not mind. Which is good. However, The pitbulls and our fence... well ONE part of our fence seperates our yard, A piece of fence goes from our creek to the front of our houses, And the dogs of our neighbors climb the fence... and they have been barking at the bunny.. I put our old tiny dog house in the pen so when they barked ,she hopped in there and ate some carrot. So she's doing great so far.

Glad she has a hiding place, that should help! Miss Hoppy would recommend offering her some flat parsley - yummy and good for her!
    I've Been Frosted