Thread: Aug 14: VJ Day

Hybrid View

Aug 14: VJ Day

Sixty five years ago today, the Axis surrendered and WW II ended. VJ Day is a state holiday here in RI; we celebrated it last Monday.

Today Dad and I attended the Tribute to WW II veterans, which was well attended; in fact, they sold out tickets 5 WEEKS before the deadline to sign up!

They had several Jeeps and Seabees artifacts on display, as well as items from the Quonset Air Museum.

The program was a bit over 4 hours long, with a full course luncheon served. Veterans attend this Tribute for free.

More to come.
    Last edited by Freedom; 08-14-2010 at 05:24 PM.

The program included a show by the USO Liberty Belles, and a viewing of a portion of the new film documenting RI Veterans' remembrances of D-Day in Normandy.

There was also a pinning ceremony, w/ each veteran receiving a ribbon and a Commemorative Medal, in honor of their service.

The oldest WW II veteran in attendance was honored, he is 103 years of age.

When they started the ceremony, they had the Presentation of the Colors. When the Commander called, "Present Arms!" every veteran there stood up a bit straighter, and saluted.

Thanks for looking.

Sandie, your dad looks great! I love what you said about the veterans all standing up a little straighter.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Crystal, it was SO noticeable. My Dad can't remember much any more, but he remembered to salute at the call to arms! I was stunned, to say the least, lol.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Thanks for the pics Sandie. Dad really does look good. You must be so proud of him too. You look great too.....

Oh - I remember Quonset and Davisville well. I met my ex at Quonset and my firstborn made his entrance into the world at the Naval Hospital on base. Kinda sad that it's not there anymore (as a Naval facility).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Another one born in Rhode Island checking in. Wonderful pictures - thanks for sharing. Your dad looks great.

Rhode Island is the only state that still commemorates VJ day.