Thread: Help...have to catch Mack to take him to the vet

Hybrid View

Help...have to catch Mack to take him to the vet

Mack has been pooping and peeing at various parts of my house. Not sure what is wrong with him. He is a completely inside cat. I tried to get him on Friday to take him to the vet. I was able to pick him up and carry him to put him into the crate. He fought like crazy and before I could get the door closed he pushed his way out.

Now he will not come near me. I have to catch him to get him to the vet before he ruins my carpeting. I asked the vet if they could give me a sedative but they will not do it. This cat is huge, fat.

How do I get him. Someone please help me. I have not been feeling well for about a month now and I am just not able to cope with this.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Helen, when Fister was young, John and I were nervous wrecks every time we had to take him to the vet, or a cat hotel. We simply had to sedate him! The first pill the vet gave him was much too strong, Fister was "out of it" for about 12 hours and we hated to see him like that. Later we tried Diazepam, that is what is in Valium. Two to five mg. was enough to make him relaxed. He could still walk, although a bit wobbly. So I suggest you ask your vet to give one of those, or you may not get him to the vet at all. I don't think it contains anything that would interfere with the possible tests the vet is going to do, but ask if that's the reason.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

That sounds like a good plan if I can get them to give them to me. Problem is, Mack has not been back to the vet since he was a kitten and neutered because I have not been able to ever get him. So, they are not familiar with him and that may be the reason they don't want to give the sedative.

Do you think if they do give me a sedative that he will let me catch him? And then how long does it take to take effect. What if he goes somewhere in the house and I can't find him. Oh this is such a dilemma. I just am not able to cope with anything out of the ordinary right now.

I will be calling them again tomorrow to see what they will do.

Thanks for the info and if anyone else has any advice please feel free. I am at a loss.

Is there anyone who can help you corral him? Sometimes it takes both of us to get Red or Charley in the carrier.

I know that this may sound a bit cruel, but when I had my semi-feral cat Cirrus I had to put an open carrier behind the toilet and chase him into my bathroom while quickly closing the door. I then had to use a broom to chase him into the carrier and then I had to quickly close it. I could never pick this cat up and he would growl and hiss like a wild cat. I did get some sedative pills for him but I could never get him to take them. I had to bring him in a bit early to have a vet tech give them to him. How he managed to do it I have no idea. They also make this in a cream that you could rub into his ear. Maybe this would work out better. Good luck.

Get a pillowcase, and try to get him inside that - it's easier and more flexible than trying to wrangle an unwilling cat into a carrier, once you have him inside the pillowcase - which is washable, too - you can just tie to shut and carry that to the carrier, or just go with him in the pillowcase - they're porous, so he will have plenty of air to breath, even if he's spitting mad!
    I've Been Frosted