Thread: Excessive Stomach Acid question

Hybrid View

Excessive Stomach Acid question

Problem: I have a 5 year old pit bull with stomach issues; these started when he was about 6 months old. Every couple of weeks I can hear his stomach juices churning, and he has no appetite until after he throws up those juices.
    Our Vet has no explanation; he's been tested for bacteria & parasites etc. without conclusion... he's been given broad spectrum antibiotics, but there is no change...
    My question: Is it possible that at some point he swallowed something that he cannot pass & the excessive juices are trying to disolve it?
    This silly dog will eat anything if he's not being closely watched. He's eaten all manner of crazy stuff... paper being his favorite... he has a pretty normal appetite most of the time, I feed him Pedigree, (two cups for breakfast & two for supper) & he has (I guess) fairly normal bowel movements... but it just bothers me that he will not eat from time to time...
    His energy level is good, he loves to play tug & keep away with his favorite purple nubby bone...
    Anyone with any ideas? Your help will be most appreciated. Thanks

what does the vomit look like? Clear or yellow? Wondering if it is something like recurring pancreatitis. My first dog (a beagle mix) had problems with it from time to time. Her barf was clear and foamy

Koko has similar issues from time to time. She will start eating grass while we are on our walk. She will then throw up the grass and yellow mucus from her stomach. i will give her Pepto and she will usually perk up after that. I can usually tie her upset stomach to something she ate the day before. We found that eating any meat, that we normally eat, will upset her stomach. If she gets into the cat food it has the same result. We just have to watch her very carefully because she will eat anything. I have had to pull cotton out of her mouth, that she was trying to eat, where she had pulled the stuffing out of one of her stuffed toys. I feed her a Nutro food that has oatmeal as one of the ingredients. Oatmeal is suppose to help dogs with sensitive stomachs,

Zeke has an issue with throwing up yellow bile if he goes too long without eating. We've talked to the vet about it and they say give him 1 Tums tablet a day to try and help it.

Its not an everyday occurrence, but it sure is annoying trying to rush him out the door so I dont have to get out the carpet cleaner all the time.

I doubt with your dog that it'd be something he ate a long time ago. Thats 4.5 years of being stuck in there? And with no signs of the problem worsening. And he still eats, drinks and pottys fine. I highly doubt a blockage.

Have you ever tried changing foods to see if that helps?

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

color of vomit

Hello again;
    My dog's vomit varies; sometimes it's clear & sometimes it is yellow.
    He also likes to eat grass while on walks, usually goes for the rough crab grass. Sometimes he pukes up the just eaten grass & sometimes not.
    I've tried to give him pepto & tums tabs but he spits them out... kinda weird for a critter that's "part goat" & will eat anything if left to his own devices... I am happy to hear that you don't think it to be any kind of blockage Thanks for your input...
    Oh, about the food change... I do sometimes give him something else; he kind of likes Beneful & doesn't give me problems about that change, but if I put something in his dish he's not familiar with he'll look up at me as if to say "what's this stuff?" LOL

Well you could try changing foods to a higher quality food than Beneful (Not trying to be rude). Maybe he'd do better on a kibble that has no fillers or corn and is easier to digest.

If he's not interested in the tablets, you could always get him his own jar of peanut butter and dip them in right before you gave it to him.. It'd probably go over easier. Or you can always sick it in the back of his mouth, like with regular meds.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!