Thread: Horrible start to my birthday.. :( Poor Kaedyn..

Hybrid View

Horrible start to my birthday.. :( Poor Kaedyn..

I was at work at my 2nd job tonight. I got a call from my sister telling me Kaedyn and Keeva got in a fight. She said it was really bad.. Kaedyn peed and was crying until he had a disgusting amount of goop in his eyes. He has a small, but most likely deep, wound on his neck/jawline area. He must have been terrified! My little man is a warrior and has never showed fear. He is the biggest small dog you will ever meet. To hear that he was crying and soiled himself broke my heart. I immediately gave him some loving when I got home. I've only ever seen him this sad once.. when he was at the shelter. This might even beat that.

I feel so awful for not being there. I know I can't prevent dogs from being dogs.. scuffles are bound to happen. And as much as I'd like to be home with the dogs, I have to pay the bills. But still, I feel horrible. I can't afford to get him stitches either. I took out a loan to get Kai's surgery a few months back. I'm still paying that off. My credit card only has $500 on it.. not nearly enough for stitches and living expenses until my next payday. Keeva's last round of stitches cost $700+. I feel awful. My little man is still going to the vets tomorrow but I will have to bypass the stitches. I can only afford a cleanup and antibiotics.. hopefully it will still heal nicely as it's not a wide wound.

I always said I'd never rehome my dogs.. my dogs are my family members. I love Keeva so much but Kaedyn was here first. It's not fair that he's in the state he's in now. It's still not a serious consideration yet but it's in the back of my mind now.. god forbid if Keeva and Kaedyn keep fighting like this, she will have be rehomed I will do my best to prevent any further fights though.. the Shelties and Keeva will be seperated when I'm at work. I will start feeding Keeva in a seperate room..

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

i am so sorry this is happening for your dogs
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Oh Ashley, I'm so sorry. I hope Kaedyn is ok. I feel your pain. I never dreamed the problems adding a third dog could cause. And when one of the two fighting is bigger than the other, it's scary. Hopefully you can work something out to keep Kaedyn safe.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I am so sorry to hear this, Ashley. I hope that Kaedyn is feeling better today. Give him some hugs for me.

That is so sad, and frustrating! I know with my cats, I just want them to live in harmony, don't care if they aren't best buddies, just NO FIGHTS.

Prayers for Kaedyn to feel better and heal up fine.

Keeva, please contain yourself!!

I am so sorry your birthday is going like this. I hope Kaedyn is feeling better soon. And you are doing everything possible to keep harmony in the house. I'm sure you will find a solution so you will not have to rehome Keeva. (I am sure hoping for you)

Please give Kaedyn lots of loves and try to enjoy your birthday a little.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Rehoming is not as bad as it feels, at first

Gosh, I understand your concern as I have been in your situation, only difference being with cats and not dogs.

I brought in a cat, one that I thought was going to do just fine, and it turned out that he, the newcomer, was a dominant male and continually fought with my older cat, Miley. I spent hundreds of dollars at the vet, getting Miley fixed up from the attacks. I just couldn't continue. I was going crazy.

I spent weeks finding just the right home for the male cat. I ended up selecting a woman living several states away from my home. I drove Ti, the kitty, to her home. It was and is the perfect place for him. I was so sad to give him up, but it was for the only option at the time. He is happy now, my home went back to being mostly peaceful. It was the right decision.

It sounds as though you could use some peace of mind and I think you may want to consider re-homing. Good homes are out there, you just need to take your time and be very selective. Luck also comes in to play here, and I wish you much of it right now.

I know how tight money is for many of us, and it is stressful thinking about one more vet bill along with the increase in everything else - and then working yourself to the bone. I worry about my pets and just getting the annual check ups, coming up soon. I am hoping that prices at the vet will drop a little as the economy goes down the tubes. We need a break in some expenses, soon.

The only free advice I can give you medically speaking is that drug stores carry a product that is wonderful for cuts and wounds, called Benedyne (sp). I use it for myself as well. I think it is the stuff the Drs. use when doing surgery etc. They swab the area with the stuff. Looks like Iodyne.... but does wonders keeping the area clean and cleans up the uglies. I learned about it when one of my bunnies, bit the hell out of the other and the wounds were not able to be stitched. The vet had me put the Benedyne on the wounds and wow, they cleared up nicely. I used it a couple of times. I have only one bunny now, so no more wounds!

Keep us posted - I hope things calm down for you.

Re-homing takes some real soul-searching, time and energy, and luck, but sometimes it is the best for you and your pet. Pets can be very forgiving if allowed to thrive in another environment.

I'm sorry to hear. Maybe you should crate them even if somebody else is home, provided they aren't really paying attention to the dogs as you would.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I´m so sorry.... poor Kae....

so hard.... so sad... but you´ll do best for all... lets´just hope things get solved and no more fights arise...

Keeva.... behave!!...
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Thank you everyone. My little man is doing better today. His spirits have picked up a little but I can tell he's still not feeling quite himself. I put the Shelties in the basement (they get along famously and can't stand to be apart). Keeva has the entire upstairs to herself. When I had Nancy do a reading on Kaedyn, she said he just wants more time to rest and be an old dog.. without the "annoying young puppy" around. So hopefully this'll keep them safe and make him a little happier.

I'm taking Kaedyn to the vet after work today. Having an injury-prone Malinois, I'm certain he'll heal just fine. Keeva has had worse with little to no treatment other than keeping it clean. His wound isn't quite as bad.. I just worry about infection because it's deep and in such a central location. I will update you all as soon as we're back tonight

Sas: Thank you for your encouraging words. I don't feel like I've exhausted my options yet. Hopefully it won't come down to it because Kee and I are making a lot of progress with her training.. but if it needs to be done, I'd make sure it's the right home so that everyone, including her, is happy.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Oh... I'm so sorry to hear this... I hope things work out and everyone can stay where they are!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

OMG!! This is terrible. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope all will be normal soon. Maybe a later Happy Birthday celebration? {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!