Thread: Chirrup? Mrrrrrr? Meow???? or silent Meow???

Hybrid View

Chirrup? Mrrrrrr? Meow???? or silent Meow???

Rascal is definitely a MEOW MAN....when he wants something. However, sometimes when I enter a room where he is, he will greet me with a silent Meow - always my favorite.

Annie just MEOWS..............(and meows and meows)..........she also hisses at Emma when she thinks she should be first. She is my brat cat.

But Emma is a Chirrup girl and when she gets what she wants such
    as a good chin scratching she Mrrrrss.............I just love her sounds.
    Normally she is very silent - and only "talks" to me......she also gently nibbles my fingers when I scritch her.

My favorite Cassie Cat sound is sort of "mrrrp" - gets higher in pitch at the end. Sort of like, "Mom?" She's a chatterbox, though. When I get home from work, she tells me all about her day: Meow! Meow! Meow!

Edited to say: Yesterday I got a sound from her that I haven't heard in a long time. It was her annoyed, Put Me Down Now! voice: "Meeaaa!" Short, high pitched, loud! (I picked her up and gave her too big of a hug, and she was not happy.)
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 08-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Taz does a quiet little meow when he's just saying hello. When he is hungry (or thinks he is hungry) it's a LOUD fast series of meows. And when I lock him out of the bedroom it's a super LOUD WOARRRR!!! Taz also has an irritated meow that he uses on Paizly ALL the time now.

Paizly has a super quiet, and sometimes silent, meow. But in the car it's such a pitiful cry. It's those meows that end with a groan. When she wants out of her room it's just a loud regular meow.

I've only seen Taz "chirp" when he used to see birds out the window. He doesn't do that anymore though.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Love this thread!
    Heidi Ann meows when she is very demanding about something (like food). In general she is the most quiet af them all.

Sammy Bo squeaks and also sings opera - like a soprano that is. For such a big boy, his voice is cute and funny, and not something one expects to hear.

Chloe chortles, chirps- she talks a lot. All the time. We carry on real conversations.

Tubi meows and I am not kidding he says MOM, MOM, MOM. He also makes another little chortling sound deep in his throat, I am not sure I know how to describe it.

Leo has a high pitched meow and also makes a very funny chortle when he announces his presence upon entering the room.

And our RB Annie used to have this very soft, soft meow to go with her coat and small little body.

All of the above

Eve ... well she just likes to talk ... a lot And, sometimes she yells too She is a constant little chatterbox who answers most of your questions with a variety of soft meows, chirps and questions (only when she's confused) She also likes to purr (rather loudly) when she's in full tilt cuddle

For such a little girl, it's hard to believe that she can have such a big voice

She has trained us pretty well though to understand her needs, her moods and of course, her demands and we love her for her outstanding communication skills
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Smudge has a whole language - his "just chatting' is an Ek or an Enh, "Welcome Home" or "I Love You" is a voiced purr/meow like "Brrrrrr!" or "Mrrrrraaaak!" and sometimes he seems to be attempting Egyptian ("Mneh" or "Eh-ak") or some boreal tongue ("Ikka-brr" or "Enga-mah") and when he gets excited he says "EE-kah!" like his voice is changing or "Meow-wow!"

The funnniest thing he ever said was, one day, he said "ik-ik-ik" and I said, "You sound like a dolphin." Smudge replied, clear as day and sounding rather proud of himself, "I am!"

Love, Columbine

Jim has the most demanding meow in the house. Loud and forceful!!

Simba has a very scratching sounding meow, sounds like he has a hoarse throat all the time.

Lucas (RB) was famous for his silent meow, how I loved the look on his face when he looked at me and said:
    " . . . . ".

They are all just a little different.

My cats are not really that vocal, with having four of them i am quite pleased that is the case, Ash hardly ever speaks, a quite little squeaky miaow sometimes, he makes up for it with his growling lol, he is good at that, oh well he is a grumpy old man after all.

Nikkita is my talker really,she often chats away to me, she is a miaower, and Lexie does too from time to time.

Now Ellie-Mae is my little chirruper, and she makes all kinds of unusal noises that i have never heard a cat do before,again she is only vocal mainly when you are holding her for a cuddle and she wants down.

Nikki is my hissing cat,even though nikki is a darling, and would never scratch you or anything, angel in disguise , she has hissed at us once or twice when not wanting to be picked up,mainly if she is hiding a bit and you want to get her out for a reason, the others just hiss at each other from time to time.
    Last edited by carole; 08-17-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Jazz doesn't meow, whe says "uh oh". It's so cute. When she's upset it a big loud drug out "raw".

Scout has a silent meow. You just hear her lips smack.

Ripley is extremely vocal and makes every sound you can think of but mostly now in his old age he grunts.

Decker screams. He can hold out a meow or whatever it is for the longest time and boy is it loud!

Moxie says "weee". It's very annoying when you are trying to sleep and she does it right in your face. I wish she would learn something new.

Rumor chirps and meows, very sweetly.

Rocky has a sissy high pitched meow.

From Decker with Love

Forgot to mention .... Eve's favourite word: "Meee..out?" as she's standing by the door looking innocently at you
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Tigris has quite a mee-ow when he wants something. And when you then look at him as if you want to say: "Now stop talking in that voice to me" he does the silent meow which is too cute.
    Filou doesn't meow most of the time. But he may say some not so nice words to you when you pick him up

Groucho has such a cute meow. He sits in the bathromm with me every morning while I get ready for work just talking when I ask about his plans for the day. He gives an emphatic mrrrow when he wants huggies. When his bowl is empty he'll start with a soft meow that gradually gets louder until his bowl is filled. When I get in from work he meets me at the door talking non stop until I sit down. Groucho jumps up, snuggles talking the entire time until I say "tell me all about it". Then he gives a full range of meows, mrrrows and purrs until Judge Judy comes on. He'll watch intently and from time to time expresses his opinion in a voice that ranges from a soft meow of approval to an almost growl of dissent. But the best is at bed time when he curls up next to me with what can only be described as his "turbo-purr" until we both fall asleep.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Mitzi is turning into a yowler - She's getting quite proud of being the only cat in the house and has no qualms anymore about letting me know she wants attention. My favorite sound that she makes, though, it her mrrrt. It's almost as loud as her meow, but a lot cuter

She does silent meows too, but the only time I can tell is if I'm looking directly at her.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Gypsy is a loud kitty. When she's surprised, she can get this really lound "MEERRRROOOWWW" going. haha if I wake her up, it's more of a raspy "ow". And Lexi gurgles unless she hasn't seen me for a while or I have catnip. Then it's a full blown "Mama?" Not even kidding.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing