Thread: New Spam alert

Hybrid View

New Spam alert

If you get an email from someone you know, saying they are stuck on vacation in the UK or London, have been mugged and just need help to come home ...

it's a scam, and your friend's email has been hacked. It happened to my sister-in-law not too long ago, and I called her and she had to jump through hoops to get access to her own account back, etc.

I just got one purportedly from a long-time Pet Talker, I have tried calling her to let her know her email's compromised, but haven't gotten through yet.

So if you got one, don't believe it, and don't reply to the email.

Here's one:

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, I came down here to United Kingdom for a short vacation unfortunately i was mugged at the park of the hotel where i stayed,all cash,credit card and cell phone were stolen off me but luckily for me i still have my passports with me.

I've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and my return flight leaves in few hours from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills.

I'm freaked out at the moment.
    Here's another:

I'm writing this message to you with sadness. I traveled to London for a short vacation and unfortunately for me, I was mugged at a knife point last night at the park of the hotel where i lodged and all cash, credit cards and cell phone were all taken away.

I have gone to the embassy and Police station but they're not helping issues at all. My flight leaves in less than 8hrs from now and i am having problems to pay my hotel bills.

The hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills. I need a loan from you to return back home and i want you to get back to me if you will be able to help me.
    I've Been Frosted

Variation on this scam is a phone call from someone in Quebec in similar straits asking for help for a car accident/arrest/etc.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I heard about this last year - a rather famous Canadian was overseas and this spambot got his address. For him, it was carelessness...he was using a computer at an internet cafe, a box popped up asking him something, and he clicked "yes" without thinking.

Out went the distress call - to his whole address book!

Bad thing is, it took him a while to convince his friends that it wasn't him lying and trying to collect money!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for the warning Karen, guess the scams will never stop.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

This scam has been around awhile, I have heard of it before. If I got one my first question would be "Why are you contacting ME? Where's your family?" Those should be the first person anyone would ask for help..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Scams are totally wrong. But, I can't really believe someone would fall for something like that!!!!!