Thread: Non-surgical ACL treatment

Hybrid View

Non-surgical ACL treatment

Has anyone ever heard this before?
    I found a website that talks about it. As you may know, Zoee is at my moms to rest her knee. I researched ACL's and found this website that seems to be legit.
    The guy talks about how surgery isn't always the answer and there is ways to determine if surgery is really needed. My mom agreed to give this a try.

Has anyone here ever had a dog with a ligament problem and not had to have surgery done?

I just have to say...I my mom. This would not be possible without her. It would be impossible to keep Zoee from activity with Taggart around. I know she is in good hands (even though my dad is slightly allergic to her, heehee) and will be loved just as much as she is here. Although I really do miss her.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I know of two people (grooming customers) who didn't do the surgery on dogs with ACL problems. One lady had a GSD, she found out about these supplements http://www.springtimeinc.com/ and had great success with them. I haven't researched it much myself but she told me often they have to have surgery on both knees because they mess up the other one taking weight off the injured one after surgery. The dog was still sore sometimes but overall she did great and could walk fine. Another grooming customer told me their golden retriever had torn her acl so I told her about the supplements as well. She was older (10ish?) when it happened so the vet had recommended not to do surgery. She used the supplements and after a year it was amazing the vet checked it again and said she didn't even need surgery at all...she was still a little sensitive about that leg but she walked fine, when it first happened she would not even put weight on it and lost all muscle tone.

My Lab mix Maggie injured her tendon early this summer. She could not
    put any weight on her left rear leg.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ghlight=maggie

The Vet suggested rest & pain control meds first before considering any
    surgery. She told me I wasn't a badmom to resist surgery as a only option.
    She has Golden Retrievers & said she follows her own advice with them too.

It took a good two months of limited activity but she has recovered
    nicely. Still takes 1/2 a 100mg Rimyadil tablet each morning with blood
    tests every 3-4 months & she gets around fine.(knock wood )
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Never heard of that. My RB Lacey's ligaments where both torn in half, so I doubt anything but surgery would have helped her.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Yes I have. There is a magazine called Dogs Naturally (I believe its from Chicago) It just had an article about Ligament recovery without surgery.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Thanks for the replies!
    I think I will try the treatment on this website first. If that doesn't appear to be working then we might try those supplements Amy suggests. I'll try anything and rule it out before surgery.

I know her knee is not completely blown since she does use it sometimes. But my mom is limiting her activity down to just walking and not even a lot of that. She can't come home until we know its healed. That could even take a year....it just depends on the dog. Poor Taggart is missing her so much. All he does is mope around. We also miss her a lot!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)