Thread: Mikey, not just pug/beagle?

Hybrid View

Mikey, not just pug/beagle?

I have gotten questions regarding Mikey's breeds. He's obviously a Pug Beagle mix. He has the muscular built of both a pug beagle, the nose of both pug and beagle, the big bulging eyes eyes of a pug. the coloring of a beagle, and his tail is can go both ways. It can be straight like a beagle, but is mostly curly like a pugs. He does have quite the high prey drive and he's very hyperactive. I've gotten people asking if he's part boxer, boston terrier, JRT, Pitbull, etc, etc. He's from a "breeder" as you know he is a "puggle", I have his papers stating his mother is a beagle and his father a pug. But it makes me think, because he doesn't look like other puggles. Most of them are all tan with a pug face, he just looks so different. I've never seen a pug beagle mix that looks quite like him not in books, not on the internet. It just makes me think...I don't know, its possible.

BTW, I am sure most of you are AWARE Mikey is typically a rescue, I did not buy him from the breeder, I got him from a women who was getting rid of him or he would have gone to a shelter. I didn't buy him so please don't start a debate over Designer dogs. I am well aware and well against the breeding of mutts.

You can see his build from this picture.

Face.

Attempted full body.

The chance he is a different breed other then Pug beagle is quite slim but I am just curious to see what you guys think.

All I know is if he is a pure "PUGGLE" then he was blessed with the best genetics of any of them. He is by far the most unique cute "puggle" I've ever seen.

Hmmmm.... I was babysitting this last December, and the family had a "puggle", and he looked very similar to Mikey. I don't see and JRT, Boston Terrier, or any sort of bully breeds, though.... Whatever he is, he is CUTE and HANDSOME!!
    Also, thank you for rescuing him.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Totally a Puggle

I know that most Puggles are fairly uniform in appearance. In fact, I find it somewhat amazing that so many are so similar in appearance - makes me wonder if they won't one day soon accept them as a "breed". With that said, I have no doubt in my mind that your dog is most likely a Puggle. Probably one that a breeder would not continue breeding with - because of his lack of conformity. But when you mix breeds, especially a new pair that hasn't previously produced winners - anything is possible. I would guess that there is even the possibility of variance within the same litter. But all that aside, I think Mikey is darling. I like his looks better than most of his kin!!!

Puggle?

Is that how Puggles are produced? A female Beagle and a male Pug? Just curious... or can it be either way. Like with Mules and Hinnies... one from a Male Donkey and Female Horse and the other visa-versa.

According to a recent TV show, most "designer mixes" are produced with the female being the larger breed. Some dogs, like pugs, can need c-sections because of the large heads and narrow hip leading to problems giving birth, so they use the larger breed for the mother.

I think Mikey could absolutely be "puggle" - half beagle and half pug, it's just that his genes swung more to the beagle side than pug, and that sometimes happens with mutts - a.k.a. designer dogs! After all, think of human siblings - we all look somewhat different, even with the same two parents ... same rules can apply!
    I've Been Frosted

Maybe basset hound in there somewhere? He's handsome regardless. I can't even believe people ask if you if he's a pit bull. He is not what-so-ever that shows people cannot identify a true APBT.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

hello

iv met a puggle male that looked exactly the same when i was in missoula,Montana