Thread: Rimadyl - Is it safe?

Rimadyl - Is it safe?

I took my 8 yr old cat to the vet because he had been having a sneezy cough for several days and was becoming a bit lethargic and not eating much.
    The vet examined him and said his lungs were clear, heart strong and nothing in the abdomin felt unusual, but he did have a temp of 103.
    When she was feeling down my cats spine he seemed a little sensitive as she neared the tail. The vet concluded that he may be getting a little arthritis. She didn't want to give prednisone since he was running a temp, but said there is a new drug for inflamation and arthritis, Rimadyl. She gave me 2 caplets that were cut in half making 4 doses to give 1 every other day. I gave my cat 1 when we got home.
    I deceided to look this medicine up to see what was said about it's use in cats and everything I have found says it is NOT for use in cats! Now what do I do?
    Not give him the rest, take him back to the vet and question why she gave me a medicine that is not to be used for cats. I paid $65.00 for the OV and med. Needless to say, I don't know what to do. Has anyone ever given their cat Rimadyl or know if it is safe to give a cat? Please advise me, I'm scared for my cat.

New York City for years, Ohio now. Go me!
    At the zoo we used Rimadyl (generic name carprofen) in cats all the time. We credit the drug with giving our puma, Jake, at least two more years of quality life than he would have had otherwise. Jake suffered from very bad arthritis, mostly in his lumbar spine. The drug isn't all that new, we used it for at least two years before I left, and I've been gone over a year.

We also used the drug in sheep, goats, coyotes and birds with no ill effects.

My vet had me give it to one of my kittens when he injured his shoulder. I ground the caplets up and mixed them with water. The suspension tended to precipitate out fast, so I always shook well before drawing up his dose. After a week on the drug he was feeling better and I was able to stop giving it. He had no ill effects.

Unless your cat has a reaction to the drug - some cats are very sensitive to medications - he should be AOK and happy for the pain relief.

Just check your milligrams. The carprofen caplets we used at the zoo were 100 mgs, meaning half a caplet would be 50 mgs. That seems kind of a hefty dose for a cat, I'm thinking maybe 12.5 mg would be more in line. If they are 25 mg caplets then your dosing is good to go!

It is a very good drug, and I never saw an animal have a reaction to it, even some of the tiny ducks that I gave it to.

Many vet drugs, and even human drugs, are only "officially" approved for one species (i.e. humans or dogs.) But lots of vets and MDs use them "off label" based on experience. For example, one of my vets used a human drug, Mobic, on cats (adjusting the dose of course) because it was one of the few low toxicity anti-inflammatories.

The best bet is ask questions and watch for any adverse reactions.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Thank you both for the replies.
    Yes the pills are 25mg and they are cut in half, so it's a 12.5mg dose given every other day. My cat weighs 13.8 lbs.
    Today is pill day, so this will be his second dose. He seemed ok after the first one, didn't notice anything unusual and he has been up and about more than he was 3 days ago, although he still has his sneezy sounding cough.
    I really appreciate the help, I feel a bit better about giving him the med. now that I've received some input from others that have had experience with it.
    Thanks again

There are many drugs that humans take that are also given to animals. But and a big BUT, it should be at the direction of the veterinarian. Which is what you did, so I'd keep on doing what he told you to do. If you're really unsure, call another vet and get a second opinion ont he drug. Won't hurt and will give you peace of mind.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

New York City for years, Ohio now. Go me!
    What she said. (Points up to Moosmom). Never give a med to a cat without checking with a vet, and if you're still feeling uneasy a second opinion is a good way to go.