Thread: Tell me about my dog!

Question Tell me about my dog!

Hello! my family just adopted a Lab mix. Not knowing a ton about dogs accept that we wanted to adopt one, we searched for the right one, visiting local adoptions as well as Lab rescue sites on the web. We had wanted a lab due to their excellent reputation with children. Everyone I meet compliments me on the cutest pit bull they've ever seen! WHAT?! After a couple days of being intimidated by the bad press the pits receive, I did a ton of research and learned how sweet they can really be. (RIGHT??) Anyway, our boy Max is about 14 weeks old & loves to nip on us a bit, especially our hands. We have signed him up for a training class & will start in 2 weeks. Here are my 2 questions..I think he is more Lab then PIt, but should I be concerned (he is an inside dog that we treat like a king) about the pit in him. Also...We go to Chicago every summer for 5 weeks & stay with my parents. They have a 5 1/2 year old little dog who is female. What can I do to help Max, who will be about 10 months when we go get used to Daisy. From what I've read, Pits are animal aggressive. Advice? We also have 2 daughters 3 & 5.

Please dont worry about the Pit bull in him.Yes they can be aggressive with other animals.If they are raised right,socialized with other dogs/animals,socialized with people and children,you pup should turn out wonderful.Also,training is a wonderful thing to having a good dog.Just keep socializing him and he should be good!I dont really have any other advice for you.Are you sure he has pit in him?Pit bulls are a wonderful breed and its such a shame they have such a bad rap.
    Do you have any pictures of him?

ETA: I agree with whateveryone posted below me. Any breed can snap and should always be supervised with children.
    Last edited by sammy101; 02-14-2006 at 10:03 PM.

It's not the breed's fault it has a bad rap, it's the fault of the irresponsible owners that don't train and socialize their dogs. Those are the ones that make front page news and pound into everyone's head that all pitts are bad.

You are taking the right path to insure your pup is a wonderful all around dog. Training is perfect because not only will he be trained and will be a more of a joy to have around, (because he won't have bad habits) but he'll also get the socialization he needs to be a great dog buddy to other
    dogs Big and Small!!
    Keep him around people, take him everywhere you can let him see tons of different people!! Big, small, old, young... Let everyone pet him and hold him, and play with him.
    I hope to see pictures soon!!
    Welcome to Pet Talk!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Not To Be Mean

BUT...

Please dont worry about the Pit bull in him.Yes they can be aggressive with other animals.If they are raised right,socialized with other dogs/animals,socialized with people and children,you pup should turn out wonderful.
    Don't worry??? I am not so sure. You do need to worry, not only about Pits but any large breed which has shown aggressive tendencies when you have small children. You are being given good advice with regard to socialization and training classes, but you need to continue to be on guard and attentive. Children will be children and no matter how much you educate them about proper interaction and behavior with your dog, they will invariably pull his hair, ears or tail. They will try and take or give food to him. They may want to snuggle (when he doesn't) and they are prone to hitting when they are nipped or growled at! Big dogs (especially tose with aggressive natures) don't take much to being hit by smaller creatures. So watch both your dog and your children as they grow and mature.

It's not the breed's fault it has a bad rap, it's the fault of the irresponsible owners that don't train and socialize their dogs.
    No, it usually is not. And yes, irresponsible owners are by far our biggest problem. But you cannot ignore the fact that certain breeds are stronger and more apt to defend themselves or even attack. There is a reason for this. Genetically, they were bred with a guard dog in mind. A dog emerging in their bloodline who just loved everyone and licked strangers and ran around in circles, happily and excitedly peeing himself when burglars entered his home, would quickly be neutered with hopes that his genes would be weeded out. So don't take lightly the fact that a Pit is extremely strong and his jaws can crush a skull or bite off fingers. YES, I know it's not their fault, but when something bad happens, does it really matter who's at fault.

You mention that your dog was a rescue pet. With this in mind, you do not know his ancestry, his parents or would type of lineage he has. Poor Breeding can also contribute to a dog's aggressive nature.

A few years back, my brother-in-law adopted a Rotweiler. It wasn't a very friendly dog from the beginning - and I think he thought that was kind of cool. Sort of made him tough through his dog. One day the dog bit my 8 year old nephew. Everyone in the family was so upset, except my brother-in-law, who blamed my nephew. A few weeks later, he attacked him in the hallway, biting his face and ripping off his lip. Some hundred stitches later, my brother-in-law still maintained that it was Johny's fault. He must have done something to provoke the dog. My husband got on the phone with my sister and told her, "he was coming over there". I don't know what he would have done, because when my husband got there., the dog and my brother-in-law were gone. Neither one of them has returned to the house since.

So, my point is this. Don't just accept the fact that "all dogs are great". Yes, most are. But because of poor breeding and bad training, some can be and are dangerous. Again, you are doing the right things and are getting good advice, but don't be simply cavalier about it all. Remember that your dog will be big and you children are small. Just keep an eye out for any warning sign should they emerge!

Yes, you do need to be on guard with any dog when small children are around. My Golden, Dixie, is the most loveable dog and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She is very confident around other dogs and has been socialized to the max as well as trained for competitive obedience. My granddaughter (4 years old) was loving on Dixie and being very clingy with her and when Dixie had enough she snapped. Yes, it took me by surprise because she is very tolerant and this was out of character for her. The point is, any dog when it has reached it's limit will snap as a way of saying enough. She didn't try to bite. It was more of a warning. But she did and could again so I don't trust her around my granddaughter alone anymore.

You need to start socializing your pup and training it in obedience. I can't stress enough getting it around other dogs and learning proper canine behavior while it is still young. You need to be firm with the dog and make it work for everything good in it's life. Hand feed kibble while incorporating obedience when it starts. Hopefully you are enrolled in a positive training class. You need to the established pack leader.

All of this will be preparation for when you take her to your parents. If you properly socialize Max ahead of time, and introduce him to Daisy in a proper way, the two should be good friends. Large dogs and small dogs can and do coexist together. I would not leave the dogs alone together until I was certain they could and do get along.

Very good points brought up in the last two posts. My rescued lab/boxer/and yes, pit, I think, is the sweetest gal in the world. BUT she nipped some big guy in the dog park the other day. Protecting her ball. He was cool about it, I wasn't. I am always aware that she has that side to her, whether she's a lab or a pit! She came to us with a fear of men, and was really doing well, but if I'm next to her and the ball is there too, she's unpredictable with men.

My beloved Thandi, the Rhodesian ridgeback, bit my son more than once. Exactly that--a large dog, had enough of being bugged, and was putting him in his place, like a pack animal will do. Unfortunately, when a big dog does that, it leaves damage. Thandi was unable to be around young children or other animals, especially as she got older. Just something I was always aware of.

I strongly suggest keeping a regular schedule at the dog park, I've found with my two rescues that socializing them in the park has made all the difference. They are still HELL when on a leash if another dog is nearby, but in the park everyone plays well.

Mika, my rescue, is wonderful with children, people, anyone, BUT I always watch her body language.

I was gonna chime in on the supervision thing too. You can have the most socialized, well trained and well behaved dog and things can happen. Doesn't even necessarily have to be aggressive behavior. I have 2 large Collies, who are extremely friendly, but I don't leave them alone with Small Children or my lil' Cairn Terrier, unsupervised. I don't think they'd ever bite, although as Dixieland Dancer mentioned, you never really know, until they're pushed to their limit. I'm more concerned with just over zealous play mainly though.

I know with Oz, I had him out at a lake with my 5 year old nephew. Oz was standing near Kyle and Oz just made a turn next to Kyle and knocked Kyle right on into the lake. Luckily we were right there and fished Kyle out. Big dog, lil' kid, you just never know what can happen unintentionally.

With my Cairn, I just worry about him getting stepped on, if the Collies start playing and I'm not there to pick him up out of the way. They all 3 get along wonderfully, but again Big dogs, lil' dogs, they can easily hurt the lil' dog without even meaning to. When they're playing, they just aren't focused on where the lil' dog is in relation to their big ole paws.

Also, you may want to have Max and Daisy initially meet on neutral territory, that can help new meetings be more successful.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Excellent Posts - all last 3. Sounds like good advice from experienced owners. Good points about fault not really being an issue when something bad happens. Who's fault - Who cares, let's just avoid bad things altogether. Also interesting angle on intentional vs unintentional. If someone gets hurt, they are still hurt whether there was intent or not. Big Dogs are big fun, but also big responsibilities too!
    Last edited by BOBS DAD; 02-14-2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you all so much....

Wow! This is a great site! I am so happy that people took time to write me back. Dianesdogs reply did make me want to give up my dog! But, I appreciate her view on the matter. So far I am not/have not left my girls alone with Max. When I shower, he goes to his "bed" (kennel). We go to the vet tommorow...I am very curious to see what the vet thinks Max is and his response to the whole Pit Bull/ small children issue. Max is getting bigger before our eyes and I am really on top of his behavior...he seems really great though.

Pitbulls don't deserve the bad reputation they get. The owners are the ones who fight them. They were bred for that. But it certainally changed. Pits are dogs. All dogs are unpredictable. Even goldens. All dog need to be supervised around young children. They don't know that dogs aren't toys until you teach them. ALWAYS watch play nbetween dog and child.

I have very young cousins. One is 2 and the oher is 6. I have to watch them when they play with my Maltese. Sure, she's small. But all dogs are capable of biting and she snaps.

Talking

Also when it comes to kids and dogs you can tell when a dog is annoyed. I had my 3 year old cousin who loves animals over for christmas. My pitt hadn't been around kids to much but a little. So I knew that I needed to watch her. She loved the attention at first but then I could tell that my cousin what getting to be to much by the way she was looking. I told my sister that my Cali was kinda annoyed and we just kept an eye on her and tried to distract my cousin for a little while.
    The point is, is that most dogs will tell you when something isn't okay. You just have to know your dog and know when they aren't happy.
    Also at the vet when I was getting her anal gland done it sounded like she was very very mad. I ask the vet how it went and she said that Cali was mad but never tried to bite her. She was just telling the vet she didn't like it and would snap at the air in the other direction of the vet, she never tried to bite at her!!! Just to be safe and not to give her a bad name she will prob have a muzzle on next time for the 5 mins it takes.
    The thing is most dogs don't want to hurt their family, just watch what they are telling you and things should be okay. So supervision is the key!!!
    Pitts are awesome I love them. I trust them just as much as every other dog out there. They are animals and have ways to tell you what is up. Just listen.

Quote Originally Posted by DIANESDOGS
    BUT...

Don't worry??? I am not so sure. You do need to worry, not only about Pits but any large breed which has shown aggressive tendencies when you have small children. You are being given good advice with regard to socialization and training classes, but you need to continue to be on guard and attentive. Children will be children and no matter how much you educate them about proper interaction and behavior with your dog, they will invariably pull his hair, ears or tail. They will try and take or give food to him. They may want to snuggle (when he doesn't) and they are prone to hitting when they are nipped or growled at! Big dogs (especially tose with aggressive natures) don't take much to being hit by smaller creatures. So watch both your dog and your children as they grow and mature.

No, it usually is not. And yes, irresponsible owners are by far our biggest problem. But you cannot ignore the fact that certain breeds are stronger and more apt to defend themselves or even attack. There is a reason for this. Genetically, they were bred with a guard dog in mind. A dog emerging in their bloodline who just loved everyone and licked strangers and ran around in circles, happily and excitedly peeing himself when burglars entered his home, would quickly be neutered with hopes that his genes would be weeded out. So don't take lightly the fact that a Pit is extremely strong and his jaws can crush a skull or bite off fingers. YES, I know it's not their fault, but when something bad happens, does it really matter who's at fault.

You mention that your dog was a rescue pet. With this in mind, you do not know his ancestry, his parents or would type of lineage he has. Poor Breeding can also contribute to a dog's aggressive nature.

A few years back, my brother-in-law adopted a Rotweiler. It wasn't a very friendly dog from the beginning - and I think he thought that was kind of cool. Sort of made him tough through his dog. One day the dog bit my 8 year old nephew. Everyone in the family was so upset, except my brother-in-law, who blamed my nephew. A few weeks later, he attacked him in the hallway, biting his face and ripping off his lip. Some hundred stitches later, my brother-in-law still maintained that it was Johny's fault. He must have done something to provoke the dog. My husband got on the phone with my sister and told her, "he was coming over there". I don't know what he would have done, because when my husband got there., the dog and my brother-in-law were gone. Neither one of them has returned to the house since.

So, my point is this. Don't just accept the fact that "all dogs are great". Yes, most are. But because of poor breeding and bad training, some can be and are dangerous. Again, you are doing the right things and are getting good advice, but don't be simply cavalier about it all. Remember that your dog will be big and you children are small. Just keep an eye out for any warning sign should they emerge!
    I disagree... Pit Bulls are not bad dogs and your reply made them sound dangerous and unpredictable, when most of them aren't.

There are lots of pit bull owners on this site, and as your on this site longer, you'll come to find that these dogs are sweet, affectionate, and awsome dogs. Like most dogs, you really need to watch them closely with children. Any dog can get angry at a child for pulling on their ears are being rough with them.

I think everything will go ok in your situation. Best of Luck!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Also I picked up a 9 month old Lab/Pitt stray, and she is the sweetest, happiest dog. She is a little destructive at home, but I think she learned it from my other dog, but she is awesome. When we walk her she wants to say hi to every one and every dog. When she gets older I would love to have her be a thearepy dog. I think she would love to make people happy!!! You prob have a pretty cool dog. Please don't let the pitt part bother you!!! They are pretty cool dogs!!!