Thread: Whats your take on it?

Whats your take on it?

What causes a cat to be nice, loving, sweet or maybe even mean??
    Do you think some cats are born to just not like to be cuddled or held? While others thrive on it?

My friends 2 cats (not siblings, 3 months apart) are NOT cuddlers. They have to come to them. They do not like being picked up or petted much.
    They got them @ 3 and 6 months old... from different places. I know one was adopted from a pet shelter. Im not sure about the other one.

I mean my kittens have to be in the mood (if they are playing you know they do not want to be held) but for the most part they love being cuddled and held... and will cry/mew at you b/c they *want* to be cuddled.

So I wonder, if it is b/c we got them so young or if it is the breed or ??? When we got them Id never have drempt they'd be such lovey-doveys (feral kittens).

Whats your take on it?

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

I think it's just the type of personality the cat has. Leonardo and Leroy love to be cuddled while Luke and Chester get a look like they are being subjected to a form of torture if you pick them up.

I agree with Mommoffuzzyfaces - it's down to personality. All the cats we've ever had have been totally different.
    Bagel and Ketchum are brother and sister and are chalk and cheese.
    Bagels so sweet,loving and friendly. She is always 'talking' and 'chatting' about her day. She doesn't like sitting on laps though.
    But Ketchum is really shy - hates folk visiting and can be scared by his own shadow. Whenever he's frightened he can be found under our bed! But he will come and sit on my lap at night time for as long as I let him - just so long as I don't try and cuddle him.

Lynne

Hmmmm interesting! Thanks for your feedback. Guess I was blind... I thought you could smotherl a cat w/cuddles and love LOL and eventually make them want it. I guess not

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

Originally posted by Lachesis
    Hmmmm interesting! Thanks for your feedback. Guess I was blind... I thought you could smotherl a cat w/cuddles and love LOL and eventually make them want it. I guess not

No, you can't do that. they are just the way they are. my husband TRIED to do that with my 2 cats for quite awhile, and it kinda ended up working just the opposite of what he wanted.
    He has finally learned to let them come to him, and they do just that!

Also, I think that kittens and young cats are not going to be as cuddley, at least mine is not. he is way to busy playing and getting into mischief......... my other boy is on the other hand a big lover-boy

Oh mine are all super cuddle bugs. In fact they "fight" over us who gets closest to us especially Max who is the most reserved of the 3

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

They're all indivittles. Cats are like a box of chocolates

I think their behavior is also affected by where they got their start. Mimi has been with us since she was a tiny kitten. She has a loud purr, loves to be held and loves sleeping as close to us as she can. Butter, on the other hand, has had very few moments of "cuddling". He does let us pick him up and on occasion, he has jumped in my lap, but you really have to let him decide when. I am sure it is because he was a stray and didn't come to live with us until he was probably 3-4 years old. But you know what is the most redeeming thing about Butter? He stayed, and he doesn't ever venture far from us inside. He sleeps on the bed with me, not close, but he's there. And usually, he wants to be in the same room with one of us at all times. Even outdoors, he prefers to hang out in the backyard with the dogs. So his love is shown differently than Mimi's, but we know that both of them do love us in their own way! And we certainly love them!!

dispositions

I think it is a combination of both genetic and environment. Sometimes it really is partially determined by the mother cat and how she treats her kittens. They get imprinted pretty quickly. Yet we have had cats we loved equally and maybe one in the litter was just plain shy, or just plain mean, or just plain sweet as can be. They do interact to each other and also our moods though.

Trey, who is our cranky old, 12 year old girl picks on the other cats when her routine is rudely interrupted in any way whereas the other two just flow with changes in routine.

LB who was a stray woods wise kitten we took in at age about 7 mos. you think would be wild, but he is very affectionate and loves to cuddle and do the PC with me. He still gets his daily woods time, but not at night ever.

Gusty, our Maine Coon beauty, was originally a show cat and breeder (now retired at 3 from both) Got her last year from a breeder. She spooks whenever we have company, but is a real lap cat with us. She has never been outdoors. I have noticed a big change in her disposition and trust level since we got her. I think it is due to all the love and affection and attention we have given her. She is less shy for sure - and more affectionate. She had to survive in a crowd of several Maine Coons(some of them large so developed clever coping skills), but now is very laid back and seems to know that she doesn't have to be clever here with us. She holds her own in a brilliant manner. She has never been in a cat fight that I know of.

Sometimes it takes a lot of time and patience, but they can change - just like people. Maybe not a lot, but at least a little.

I spent 34 years in Alaska. Treybabe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Thanks for the input....

All 3 of mine are so laid back and lovey dovey... but we held them a lot when we first got them (as much as they'd let us) and still do.

This morning all 3 wanted to be held at once normally Pepper and Milo like to be held (and will cry if you dont) first thing in the morning and when I first walk in the door. Max likes to be held more at night, around bedtime... once in a while he likes it other times and normally doesnt protest if you pick him up....

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

more about laps

Yes, sometimes to me it is just a bit puzzling how they turn out. None of kitties were born under our roof and two are strays. All three are lap cats and even, Trey, who is cranky with the other cats loves to do laps. It is always there time though and we can't push it. Thing is it is my lap they want and not hubby's. He does pet them a lot, feed them sometimes, clean up after them, and loves them to pieces, but they never jump on his lap.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Originally posted by Logan
    [But you know what is the most redeeming thing about Butter? He stayed, and he doesn't ever venture far from us inside. He sleeps on the bed with me, not close, but he's there. And usually, he wants to be in the same room with one of us at all times. Even outdoors, he prefers to hang out in the backyard with the dogs. So his love is shown differently than Mimi's, but we know that both of them do love us in their own way! And we certainly love them!! [/B]

Oh Butter! I like hearing about you. I think that deep down, you really are a lover-boy- you just had a difficult start in life.
    Besides, you look so much like one of my kitties.
    How is it going with Butter these days? A while back you were getting some lap-time with him..................are you still?

I have seen all types come from one litter. At least, to me, their want of cuddling or being a lap cat doesn't appear to be connected with their mother or environment (providing it is not violent and unkind) Of the most affectionate cats I have now are Princess, and Fluffy, which if left to themsleves are arch enemies, and I assure you that the house would be torn up if those two were left alone. I re-homed Fawn today, to a loving family who is familiar with raising cats. Fawn was always there to be picked up an cuddled. Jumper is a character by himself, because he demands to be picked up and cuddled like a baby and will drop off to sleep in your arms if you hold him long enough! But Jumper is not a lap cat. And then there are those who do not like to be picked up and only allow petting and sometimes cuddling on their terms only. Bluzette, Snow Cat, Snow Tiger, and Ophie (Ophelia) are of these examples.

.........wayne

hugs

It is almost unpossible to change the character of a cat !! I love to hug cats , but if Sydney does not want to be hugged , that's the way its gonna be !!! They all have a very strong will and hold on to it . In fact it is just that what I love so much in a cat !!!