Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My precious Almalfi

My precious Almalfi

I’d appreciate a little help/advice for Almalfi.

He started coughing last Wed. He gradually stopped eating. He saw the vet on Thursday. Xrays- no significant findings. Heart- normal size, Lungs- clear, no fluid, congestion.
    They gave fluids, but vet said he wasn’t really dehydrated. Throat and nose clear.

I started force feeding on Friday.
    My goal is 30cc A/D + Nutrical 15cc water a day

Meds: laxatone, metoclopramide, usual dosage of Dex for his PF(one every two weeks)

Do you have any idea why he is coughing, besides hairball?
    He is not doing the ‘hurka hurka’ motion, just coughing, gagging and trying to expel something.

How much food needed to keep him going and how much water?

If IV fluids are needed, how often and how much?
    He has a follow up on Monday, does he need fluids sooner than that? (fluids given on Thurs)

I think the more eyes I can get on him, the more potential help he has.

Thank you all.

This sounds very strange to me and I've never experienced something similar. But I send my best thoughts for Almalfi who is one special kitty boy

He is a fighter!

The rescue suggests a heartworm test.
    Another suggestion has been anemia. But why the cough?

Thanks,

Poor Almalfi! Have they done any blood work testing? Is there any chance he might have swallowed something?

Food is important, but I know fluids are more important. If you pinch and pull around the scruff of his neck does it bounce back or stay pulled out? That would tell you if he is dehydrated or not.

I wish I could offer more, but I do send prayers and good thoughts!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

I am 'tent checking' him for dehydration, and tonight we will look at his gums, to see if they are 'tacky'. (two person operation)

I have fluids and can start them if he seems like he needs them.

Blog Entries

precious Almalfi

mew! We hope Almalfi is feeling better. My KatMa wonders if something is caught in his throat?

KatMa & Paw-Paw wish they could give advice but this kind of coughing is not something they have seen before in any of their beloved furkids.

Almalfi, we are thinking of you and hope you get better very soon. We will be checking this thread to see how you're doing.

Purrrrs, Sasha & her purrents

Felix (Maine Coon Cat) & Norman (Marbled Bengal Tabby Cat)

KatMa says:
    "Angels are sent to purrsons, dressed up as Cats" and
    ~Life without Cats is NOT a life at all!~
    Original cat quotations(c)Susan Elizabeth Dykhuis

Life without liberty is like a body without spirit -Kahlil Gibran

Sasha the Queen Calico
    b. 8 May 1994 - d. 29 August 2005

Our most purrecious little girl, we love you fur~ever.

Bobby the Dog, cats Tiggy [TBCU], Princess and Paddy-Paws, and Chucky the Dog are showing you the ropes at RB. Kisses and hugs to all of our darlings from your KatMa & Paw-Paw.

Calico Cat Atavar by: Glenda Moore

Best wishes for Almafi, but no suggestions, I am stumped too.

Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. I sure hope that he'll recover soon. Please continue to keep us updated.

Last Thursday the vet checked his throat and nose for obstruction, but didn't find anything.

I gave fluids last night, and still force feeding.
    he's such a good, patient boy.

Another thing, he can't seem to use his voice, or purr. I think he wants to purr sometimes, but can't. (he's got a huge, low voice)

Last week, when he wanted to 'greet' me, as I entered the room, as usual, nothing came out of his mouth but a 'crackle'.

Now, he doesn't even try to greet me.

I did get a little meow out of him when he got stuck with the needle for fluids, but only one little protest.

We see the vet tomorrow.

Almalfi, I am so sorry, you sound real sick. Maybe we better start to sing these songs for you. Last time they really helped.

Poor Amalfi. I hope the reason for this will be discovered and he'll feel better soon!

Keeping paws and fingers crossed for him.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm sorry to hear that he's still very sick. I remember one time my Storm had a very sore throat and he could barely meow. Even after he recovered, it took him quite a while to get his voice back. My vet said that it looked like he had burned his throat with something but we never found out what caused it. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

The way it sounds it that it might just be heart worm. The only symptoms I know are trouble breathing and coughing, which it sounds like he's experiencing. I have no experience with heartworms though, so all I can do is wish Almalfi the best. Poor little guy has been through so much.

I do know they have medicines for heartworm, but it's a tricky thing and they need to be administered under strict supervision because if you kill the worms off to quickly, it could be even more detrimental to Almalfi's health.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    The way it sounds it that it might just be heart worm. The only symptoms I know are trouble breathing and coughing, which it sounds like he's experiencing. I have no experience with heartworms though, so all I can do is wish Almalfi the best. Poor little guy has been through so much.

I do know they have medicines for heartworm, but it's a tricky thing and they need to be administered under strict supervision because if you kill the worms off to quickly, it could be even more detrimental to Almalfi's health.
    His breathing is incredibly normal.
    The signs of heartworm are coughing, vomiting, difficulty breathing, anorexia.
    Half of which he has.

I was able to get him to the Cat vet, but he’s not doing better.
    Brought him home to feed him and give fluids, but he was cranky from what they did to him, and growled and struggled for me.
    I only got 1/2 the food, the meds and 50cc of subQ fluid in him.
    He was coughing, and gagging. Some clear viscous liquid came out when he coughed. After the episode, we were able to calm him down. We slept there for 1 hour and he was silent. He’s sitting meatloaf style, head down in front of him. I don’t think he’s sleeping. Just sitting.
    I gave him a little pet before I left, and he started to cough, so I stopped.

The vet took blood, for now.
    Now they can check for HW, anemia, kidney function.
    Next he wants to do a EKG, ultrasound.

He gave me Buprenex, in case it’s his teeth that are keeping him from eating. Cyprohepadine, for appetite. Antirobe capsules, in case of infection.
    And said to give his dose of Dex, that would help if it’s asthma.
    This Dr. detected a 3/6 heart murmur. Said, it wasn’t too bad considering his age.

Malfi has taken a bad step tonight. His humor is gone. I hope it’s a different story tomorrow, and some of the new meds kick in.
    At least before today, I didn’t see him unhappy. : (

Sing for him, please.

I'm following Amalfi's story although I don't have anything to suggest for him. I really hope he starts to feel better today.