Thread: HELP-How to Help with getting hair off cat - less hairballs - brushing?

HELP-How to Help with getting hair off cat - less hairballs - brushing?

The only thing that seems to work at all is wet hands being petted over the cat to take off the excess hair. My Max is coughing up hairballs every few days now.. Starting to worry. The brush doesnt' seem to get any off. What do you guys use??? Thanks a bunch - worried meowmie.. Debbie

Suggestion..

We use a regular human comb. They get combed 2 or 3 times a week and it always seem to get a lot of the fur off.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

I use a brush, it works for my gang of 3
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Isn't it awful this time of year? I too brush and brush but it seems to never end. I don't know if there is a better method of removing loose hair but maybe someone here will have a good idea. Just keep lots of paper towels handy!

I actually mix the Nutro Max Hairball control with the Nutro Natural Weight Management food... and thats been working GREAT. Soooo many fewer hariballs than I had before the switch. Its easy to mix too... one bag of each and pour them both into a plastic bucket. A little shake and its mixed, ready to dish out every morning.

I brush Pouncer occasionally and Allen more often. I never brush Abby because she NEVER gets anything off while being brushed. I wonder if she ever sheds! (of course she does, but not while I brush her) Mostly, I get the fur off by brushing them with my hand. They love that best, just firm quick strokes and the hair comes off in my hands.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I'm no help .... I just brush every day with a wire brush. Mitzi is the worst as her fur is so long and thick and dense with a wooly undercoat that mats something fierce. Occasionally I will use the shedding blade and for really bad mats I use the mat-breaker blade - which both cats hate with a passion.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I was also going to suggest a shedding blade. Those things can remove a whole extra cat's worth of hair. They are great.

THE SHEEDING BLADE WORKS,FOR ME,AS ALL THE HAIR,NEVER COMES,OFF,EVEN WHEN YOU PUT THEM,IN THE WASHING MACHINE!!!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm not familar with the "shedding blade". What is it?? Thanks I'm glad it is not only mine - I thought they were suppose to be through shedding in April????? Is it all the time with a longer haired cat? I will try the human comb tonight. They are on the Nutro Weight Management formula now - what Max can keep in his stomach that it. He is eating too much too fast and throwing up again... I think Meka terrorises him and he is scared. I also started putting Meka's bowl on the counter so he can't eat it. BUT now Meka will eat out of his instead of hers on the counter. SOOOOOO.. Am I ever going to get these cats to be good kitties??? Debbie

I pet and pet and pet and chase floating furballs!
    Then I force hairball remedy on anyone who starts coughing them up. Funny, but my Grace (short-haired) sheds the very worst and has hairballs continuously!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I brush them with my own brush...its the only one they'll tolerate.

Also, they make alot of really great foods for hairballs. They also sell laxatone...that's a paste that helps get them out.

Good luck!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Shedding blade:

Available as most pet supply stores. I bought mine at Petco.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

use a rubber dish washing glove to stroke you cat!

I also suggest a shedding blade, they work great.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I have four Persians, and two full size vacuums and a handheld one. Vacuuming happens once sometimes twice a day. If the majority of them didnt freak out at the mere appearance never mind the sound of the vacuum maybe I'd vacuum them. lol

I use a comb on them, a pet brush does nothing, nothing really gets it all, except persistence, by doing it every day sometimes twice in shed (which for some reason seemed much longer than usual) We have no hairballs, whatever hair they ingest seems to be taken care of by the hairball formula food.

Other maintenance done while grooming (at the same time) eye washing, ear cleaning, nail clipping, and for one them tooth check, cleaning and chin check for acne.

**edit** combs are all different and it can be difficult to find the right comb for the coat type. I bought three before I got the right one.