Thread: An essay on fostering.

An essay on fostering.

What do you think?

Thoughts from a foster mom.

How can I let my fosters go? A question I am asked many times. I guess for me the answer starts with having a housefull already, but still having the burning need to help more. Now, over 50 successful adoptions later, I can say it is much more than that.

I put all my love into each individual foster cat, even if she is one of 8. She gets daily attention along with the social skills needed to live in a home with a family. I tell her "I love you" and I mean it sincerely. I tell her "One day, you will have a family of your own". Each day I kiss her good night and then hug her good morning. And some day, I will say good bye to her and remind her....."remember, I loved you first. Be a good girl and have a good life". And then I love another.

People raise children every day leading up to a time when they will leave home and start lives of their own. I just happen to do it with cats. It gives me the opportunity to share my love and in return I receive an over abundance of unconditional love that only a pet can provide.

If I would have known that the satisfaction of fostering an unwanted street waif until her new family can find her was THIS rewarding, I would have started so many years ago. I can honestly say that I am helping to make a difference in the lives of some of God's creatures whom few people even give a fighting chance.

So if you can't adopt, why not foster..........the kitties will love you for it.

Thats beautiful Jen, and so true.

When Beau was dropped off to me tonight, hubby asked "So when did we get another foster?" I said, "About two minutes ago."

And always, people ask "Are you keeping this one?" I say, "only for as long as it takes to find them wonderful homes." I kept my two failed fosters, and will be sending all the others off to wonderful new homes. I get wonderful letters & updates from Katrina's new mom, and THOSE are the best thing in the world - to see those little cats that I loved for as long as they stayed here living happy and wonderful lives with other people -- they are enriching people's lives more than they enriched my own.

Fostering is hard, but the rewards are huge!

i wish,that I could adopt,but the Animal Welfare,and the Humane Society,have both turned me down flat.I ahve too many Cats,and My House,is in a deteriorateing neighborhood,that a lot,of prospective adopters,would care,to travel,to. You,are doing a wonderful job,Jen,with 50 Cats,that have a Furr Ever Home,due to you.YOU ARE OUR HERO!!!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

GREAT essay, Jen!!

I agree, your fosters have the best plan...get used to people in an amazing home..filled with love, food and fun.

You do a VERY great thing with your fosters, Jen. Keep it up!

Love, Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

What a fabulous essay Jen. No word of a lie, I read it 3 times trying to make the words stick in my head as to why I will not be keeping the little one I have now.

I take my hat off to you dear lady, as you are one special person doing such a good deed for all these precious creatures of God.

Your essay, has made me understand more about fostering and I thank you for that.

If I had a printer I would print out what you have written, but since I don't, I will have to write it out myself so I can read it over again if ever another little one comes into my care.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010