Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i'm thinking of adding yet another...

i'm thinking of adding yet another...

i've been thinking of adding another pet to my household, but i don't know what it should be. maybe another keet? a fish? a rock? a finch? any ideas? it has to be something little and cheap.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Oh, yay! lol I don't know what to recommend...we've only had guinea pigs and fish for small pets!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

Fish are always nice, and on the cheap-er end. Parakeets and Finches can be expensive, given a nice cage and plenty of perches/toys/feed. Rocks are nice too

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

of the ones you listed my personal fav. is the keet. I do also like small bunnies

Requiem suggests a lovely cockroach. I like rocks too.
    [IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=pet+rock/v=2/SID=e/l=IVS/SIG=12bjnj59r/EXP=1113436158/*-http%3A//www.nba.com/media/sixers/pet_rock_250_030328.jpg[/IMG]
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

of the ones you listed my personal fav. is the keet. I do also like small bunnies
    bunnies are out of the question. i don't have the space right now. i do love them though and want another some day.

Fish are always nice, and on the cheap-er end. Parakeets and Finches can be expensive, given a nice cage and plenty of perches/toys/feed. Rocks are nice too
    i ahve 3 keets right now, so i know about how much money they would cost. i've never had a finch, and seriously considering a zebra finch. OR i might pick up a fish my next trip to petsmart. i havn't had one in years. i really like bettas. i've had some before, and always enjoyed them.

Oh, yay! lol I don't know what to recommend...we've only had guinea pigs and fish for small pets!
    i've never had a guinie pig. are they all scared like the ones i see in the pet store? do they require about as much room as a rabbit?

Requiem suggests a lovely cockroach. I like rocks too
    NO BUGS! sorry, but they just aren't a pet for me.

i've narrowed it down to either....
    a finch
    a keet
    a fish
    or a guinie pig(after i find out more about them)

7. Well, for a gift to myself, I am getting a gerbil or 2. I think they make excellent pets! As do bettas! I have 4, but as you may know, they are ADDICTING! I am expecting another in a couple weeks from a friend!

Originally posted by lute

i've never had a guinie pig. are they all scared like the ones i see in the pet store? do they require about as much room as a rabbit?
    Guinea pigs require as much cage space as a rabbit or more. They should (and it is very good for them if they are) housed with atleast one other guinea pig (of the same sex).

Guinea pigs aren't cheap, I spend atleast $15-$20 a week on the bedding, fresh and pellet food, hay, etc. (The bedding can add up, as can the fresh food!) The cage alone for a guinea pig can cost $50 (for a C$C cage, www.cavycages.com) a petstore cage can cost over $100 dollars for a very, very tiny cage.

If you'd like to know any thing else about them you can PM me.

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

Rocks are fun, but so are cones!! They are low-matinence, don't make messes, they are cute....

hehe!

Rocks are fun, but so are cones!! They are low-matinence, don't make messes, they are cute.... http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/show...threadid=66945

hehe!

Get a BETTA!

May I ask how big your cage is? A single budgie should live in a cage of at least 14x14x14". For ever additional bird, I generally add 3-4", so a pair should live in an 18x18x18", and three should live in a 22x22x22", and four should live in about a 2 ft cubed cage, more or less. This is all assuming your birds do not leave their cage (which many don't). If your birds do leave their cage every day, then you can hack off a few inches, but 2ft cubed is generally what you're looking at. I'm madly in love with budgies, so you know where my preferance is

Originally posted by Giselle
    May I ask how big your cage is? A single budgie should live in a cage of at least 14x14x14". For ever additional bird, I generally add 3-4", so a pair should live in an 18x18x18", and three should live in a 22x22x22", and four should live in about a 2 ft cubed cage, more or less. This is all assuming your birds do not leave their cage (which many don't). If your birds do leave their cage every day, then you can hack off a few inches, but 2ft cubed is generally what you're looking at. I'm madly in love with budgies, so you know where my preferance is
    the cage i keep Picasso and Nipoleon in is 18x19x13. the one i keep Kirby in is 15x11x8. my birds spend most of their time outside the cages and only spend the night in them.

Originally posted by bckrazy

i dissagree, fish are very expensive if kept properly....

goldfish are the most dirty fish in the world so they need a good filteration sistem...

tropical fish need alot of care too...

the only cheap fish you would be able to get is a betta...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Bettas are initially cheap but if they are kept in the conditions they should be kept in, they too can be a bit of an investment. I've spent well over $100 (probably closer to $200, the 2 tank setups alone came out to about $100) on everything mine need, and still plan to get them a couple more live plants when I can find the ones I'm looking for (I may have to order them online). If they get sick, which often poorly kept bettas do, medication costs a lot. It's pretty sickening how they are marketed as such a cheap, easy to keep pet that can live in an 8 oz container here in the U.S. In Finland there are actually laws regulating the minimum tank size that can be sold for fish, and that INCLUDES tanks for bettas.

Ok. Off my soap box (for now). It just bothers me to see anyone choosing a pet based on it being "cheap and easy."
    Last edited by K9soul; 04-13-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge