Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cats and Vacuum Cleaners

Cats and Vacuum Cleaners

Whenever the carpets are being vaccuumed in our apartment our two cats, Snowball and Rocky, have two different reactions. Snowball, when he hears the vaccuum cleaner nearby, does an imitation of a Badger, with his legs splayed out and body close to the ground. Then he runs into one of the bedrooms and jumps on the bed.

As for Rocky, well, he is the cool one. He just waits until the vacuum cleaner is almost touching him, then he gives a meow and walks away. The complete opposite of Snowball.

How do your cats react to the sight or sounds of the vacuum cleaner?

Brian,

Ontario, Canada

Mina runs and hides in the spare room until an hour after I'm done, and then she'll run and attack the vaccum.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

Both used to be very scared of the vaccume and would sit on the bed.

Tinky is still scared of the vaccume and runs into our room and sits on the bed...
    but Jupiter he is so curious of the vaccume and will follow me around and just stare... he such a silly boy!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

When we first got Squeekers back in May she was TERRIFIED of it! I guess her previous owners didn't vacuum their house much or something. After a few months she got used to the sounds though. Now she just hops up onto her cat tree and lays there with her ears back until we're finished with it.

My RB cat Perkins however LOVED it! We used to vacuum him to remove excess fur and he couldn't get enough of it! LOL! They're all different.

Misty doesn't like it at all, but is getting better about it.

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*

Harry just watches it with curiosity, Abby runs for the hills, Poucner follows. Allen sometimes runs, sometimes stays. Nicki? All she has to do is see me carrying the vaccuum into the room and she's out like lighting!

Most of my cats head for the hills. Bubba just sits there and glares at it.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Pixie runs over to it until it touches her house or gets to close then she runs, but comes back and sits in a doorway to watch LOL... My dog Gomer he runs FAST!!! my other dog Mercedes she could care less she just lays there and you actually have to tell her to move to be able to vaccum the spot shes on Fifa watches from a distance, but won;t come any closer

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Thumper is the only one that doesnt run away when the vaccume is used.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

All Julie has to do is see the vacuum cleaner come out of the closet and she disappears. She won't come out until it has been put away for some time, then she will venture out to see if the 'monster' is gone.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    The minute I open the closet door where I keep the vacuum, Mitzi will first make sure I'm just getting a coat; but if the door stays open for longer than 30 seconds and I start reaching for the vacuum, she BOLTS, disappears under the bed, not to be seen for HOURS!

Mishi, on the other hand, just looks at me in curiousity while I vacuum, stepping out of the way when the vacuum heads his way, sometimes jumping up on the bed, but at no time taking his eyes off me. I think he's scared of it, but being a guy, he just doesn't want to admit that he's a big wimp.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Well, I have no carpet so my cats have no idea what a vacuum is! But my sister's cat, Mystic, reacts like this:

Mystic is 17 years old and since kittenhood he hasn't let anyone run a vacuum unless he gets vacuumed first! He loves the upholstery attachment!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

gigi is so brave she will walk right into the kids rooms with their music blasting and she could care less...casey on the other hand is a big chicken!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

All my cats scatter and hide when I even go near the vacuum cleaner. Except for Mandy. She's a little pistol who does the "kitty moon walk", puffing her tail out and walking sideways as if to say, "Go ahead, ain't nothing scares me!!!" Until I turn it on, that is.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

As soon as I open the closet door Katie and Simba take off down stairs, and when they see me coming down stairs with the vacuum they bolt up stairs right past me.
    Last edited by Cosmicat; 01-06-2005 at 06:48 PM.

“The memories and paw print of a beloved cat remains in our heart and soul forever.” – Unknown
    My beloved Katie (1994-2008)

Boomer heads for the hills as soon as he sees the "Green Monster."
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl