Thread: Skin trouble...

Skin trouble...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll post some pictures in a minute.. (I'm uploading them now)

Blu's having an irritation, it began just looking like clumpy callus around her elbows (figured this is from trying to bust out of her cage) but now it seems she has gotten some red bumps (that will puss a bit) on her belly and one or two between her toes??

I'm making a vet appt monday, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before (the vet always says it's "probably" a skin infection scrapes for mites and puts this poor dog on anitbiotitcs again)...

it seems the picture of her belly is overexposed... and therefore useless.. but here are her elbows.. hope you can see something and offer advice... she doesn't seem to be scratching or biting at it, but I fear it's spreading.

Sorry they are kind of blurry the camera can't seem to figure out what it's trying to focus on..
    ~*~*Aurora*~*~
    Very proud mommy
    of a Blue Weimaraner
    ~*~*~*BLU*~*~*~

and a pic of the tummy where you can see the bumps..

thanks in advance for any advice..
    ~*~*Aurora*~*~
    Very proud mommy
    of a Blue Weimaraner
    ~*~*~*BLU*~*~*~

Poor pupper I know in the human world, dermatological problems can be tough to diagnose and difficult to treat. It certainly looks liike some sort of irritation. What's Blu's history? Any food sensitivities, any new products being used in the house, exposure to anything outdoors? The drainage aspect is definitely perplexing as is the spreading nature. My thought was some sort of contact dermitis. Hope the vet can figure it out for you! Please check back after your visit. Hugs to Blu...feel better soon sweetheart!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Blu is nearly two now..

last summer she got an irritation around her collar.. we thought initially she was into the poision ivy at my fathers house...

but during the week of my wedding (sept 6th) it just seemed to be getting worse and spreading down her neck (somewhat similar lookign to this) so I had her taken to the vet while we were on our honeymoon...

they for the second time last year told me ... they didn't find mites.. must be an allergy or a skin infection and prescribed antibiotics.. when I got back from my honeymoon she was better a little but not all the way.. by the time she was done with the antibiotics.. she was still not better just not as bad...

after I changed her food to California natural (last fall maybe Late October) it went away all together and hasn't returned since..

About a month ago... (no real change in her life other than seasonal flowers etc.. grass that might be blooming differently) the elbowys started to get irritated like little callouses and loose some hair.. She has seperationg anxiety and bangs around trying to break free from her crate when left in it, so we assumed that had caused it... until last week when the belly started. We bathed her in her special oatmeal shampoo...etc figureing maybe it was just an irritation.. well since her bath.. not only has it not not seemed to get any better, but now I can see lumps starting randomly under her coat on her back... and near her butt..

so whatever it is.. it's spreading...

thanks for looking !
    ~*~*Aurora*~*~
    Very proud mommy
    of a Blue Weimaraner
    ~*~*~*BLU*~*~*~

could it be a nervous reaction ?? Stress does weird things!!!!

Keep us posted!!

I suppose it could be I did read somewhere today there is a type of dog mite that they normally fight off but stress can cause them to not be able to fight it off?? I'll let you know if I getany answers from the vet...

keep the ideas coming folks I'm going to the vet with any idea possible as I really want to know what's causing it this time... treat the cause not the symptoms you know...
    ~*~*Aurora*~*~
    Very proud mommy
    of a Blue Weimaraner
    ~*~*~*BLU*~*~*~

Oh dear I do wonder if it might not be a nervous reaction, except that the bumps are filled with fluid which makes me think that there's something systemic going on other than nerves. And with nerves, one tends to think of a hive like response. It's spreading quickly, it seems! Have you tried giving her any Benadryl in the meantime?

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Originally posted by tatsxxx11
    Have you tried giving her any Benadryl in the meantime? [/B]

eeeek,, isnt Benadryl awfully powerful??? Or are you talking like special doggie pills??? I wouldnt give a drug without the vets ok,,,,, but thats just me......

Not all the bumps are Puss filled.. .but where they are it seems to be ummm yellowish white puss (like an infected pussy substance) and seems to be irritated around the hair folicles... so maybe the nervous reaction is causing the irritation to the hair follicles??

and if I poke around at the dry chapped like bumps on her heels the hair growing out of those areas can be pulled out like plucking feathers from a chicken...

my poor sweet puppy is being so good while we pick at her trying to figure out what's wrong...

now she has more bumps I just noticed going up her neck...

on her back and her neck.. they are sporadic like chicken pox? dogs don't get chicken pox do they?
    ~*~*Aurora*~*~
    Very proud mommy
    of a Blue Weimaraner
    ~*~*~*BLU*~*~*~

Originally posted by LorraineO
    eeeek,, isnt Benadryl awfully powerful??? Or are you talking like special doggie pills??? I wouldnt give a drug without the vets ok,,,,, but thats just me......

No, she means over the counter people Benadryl. It is okay for dogs (check w/ your vet first of course) in small doses. I've given one pill at a time to my dog for various things (from a small skin irritation to minor sedation when we flew cross country).

Oh my, I hope it's nothing serious. Please let us know as soon as you find out what the problem is.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets