Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A stray dog came to my house.

A stray dog came to my house.

A stray dog came here three days ago, a beautiful medium-sized black and white colored long-haired dog. She would not let me close to her all the first day. She was so skinny and dirty! I put some food out and watched her eat after I went back into the house.

The next day she hid in the garage and I showed her the food I had for her and gave it to her. By evening she let me pet her. She got even more trusting the next day. She started following me all over the yard. As I petted her I noticed a huge infected growth around her female parts. It was awful looking! Well, I started calling everyone around here to try to see if anyone had lost a dog of her description. But no one had. I posted a sign at the vet's office also. I wanted to find the owners so they could get her to the vet's office right away. And I was falling in love with this sweet-natured dog.

I fixed her a nice clean bed in a a dog house and we brought it close to the house. She seemed to have the need to be near us. She went in it and laid down in her fresh clean bed.

Oh, I hope no one comes for her. She has already got me hooked!

(day 3)

I decided to name the stray dog "Pandy" after a panda bear. I took Pandy to the vet today. We weighed her and she weighed 30 pounds (after eating ravenously for three days). She is still just skin, bones, and fur. The vet told me that she has a breast tumor. He says that she has had it for awhile. He wanted to know if I would want to spend a lot on her for surgery or just have him put her to sleep. He offered me a discount price since she is a stray. It would cost over $300 dollars to cut the tumor off. He said because the tumor had been let go so long that she would die without surgery (it is the size of a baseball and draining from infection.) I said that I could not have her put to sleep. He gave me some antibiotics and sent us home. The surgery is to be done Monday. He also said I could bathe her.

I took her home and gave her a warm bath. She was loaded with fleas and ticks. I combed out all the tangles and lumps that were left from the infection, and from being lost so long. I think I cried the whole time I was cleaning her! Thinking.... how could someone have treated her so badly?

She already knows how to heel and she has had leash training sometime in her life. She sits when I tell her to. She is a really good dog. Anyway it was a pretty depressing day.

The vet thinks someone may have dumped her because of the large smelly draining tumor. He is going to write me out some papers on the bad condition we found her in. Just in case her owners come and try to claim her, he says they will have to reimburse us for the cost of treatment.

My Saturday has been filled with trying to care for Pandy. Please wish Pandy good luck! I will post pictures as soon as they are developed and scanned.
    Last edited by amoore; 03-13-2004 at 06:37 PM.

Poor Pandy, people are so cruel!

Im glad you got her cleaned up, and checked out at the vet, and am glad your going to try and help her, maybe she was sent to you so she could get better

Pandy and you will be in my thoughts, I hope all goes well.

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Thank you so much for caring for this sweet sweet girl. Our prayers will be with you all on Monay, that she does well in with Sir Jury, and there is a positive outcome.

Love and good food to you, Panda dear.

Ann, Panda knew to come to you. She knew you and Andy would spend your last penny to help her. I hope everything goes okay for sweet little Panda.

I know that you guys are having a hard time anyway, your hearts are so huge. I am so proud of my sweet sister and sweet brother-in-law Andy.

I love you two. Keep me and all of us posted about Panda. You know we have to know everything here!!!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

You should see how beautiful she is after her bath! The water was brown, and there was a layer of red mud in the bottom when we drained the tub. Now her coat is snow white and the black spots shine. Andy and me both are in love with her. After what the vet said we doubt that anyone will claim her. We have contacted all our neighbors for three miles around. Does this sound like we are getting attached?

You should see her following Andy around! Andy has a sweet little smile on his face.

Thank you all for the well wishes for Pandy.

Aw Ann, I love y'all! Thanks for taking her in! It certainly sounds like she needs the surgery and I'm so happy that y'all are going to go ahead with it. You could also contact a rescue organization and see of they would help with paying for her surgery. Just a thought.

I hope all goes well on Monday and please, ket us know how she does. It's not cancerous is it?

Thank you for saving this sweet girl!!! She sounds perfect!!! I do hope noone claims her...anyone who left her that way isn't worth the mud you washed off her, and certainly should not be able to get her back!!

Best wishes for Sweet Panda Bear! Can we see some pictures?

Poor Pandy.....how could people be so cruel

Bless you Ann for taking in this sweet little girl. Please give her some smoochies from me.

Prayers on the way that the sir jury goes well.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I just had anoter thought...you may consider calling your local animal control to alert them you found this dog. They may want to do a report to strengthen your case should the owners turn up. Having never called myself and not knowing rules or procdures, you may want to pose it as a "hypothetical" first to be sure they would try to claim the dog and take her from you. Maybe Aly would know more about Texas rules regarding this?

We won't know if the breast tumor is malignant or benign unless part of it is sent off. Hopefully all will be removed and it's not the kind that spreads.

Another thing I have worried about is that she could possibly be bred. We just don't know. The vet said he would rather wait until this surgery heals to spay her if she needs it, so as not to risk infection of the abdominal cavity. We will get Pandy a pregnancy test in her pre-surgical bloodwork on Monday.

Thanks everyone for your care and support. Pandy says thankyou too. I hadn't mentioned she has brown eyes, very striking with the white coat and black spots. And she has those little freckly spots like a Brittany. She has a short muzzle and may be some kind of stock dog or hunting dog mix.

Ann, I wish you and Pandy all the luck in the world and hope tomorrows surgery goes well for this sweet dog. I am so happy to hear you are possibly keeping her and getting her surgery done. Hopefully she isn't pregnant and can be spayed after she recovers. Are you sending in a sample of tissue to be tested? I think at this point it would be a good idea and can help a cruelty case should something come up and someone wants to press cruelty charges or something along those lines.

Please update us when you hear more tomorrow. I can't wait to see pictures!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Ann, have I told you lately how much I like you? No? Well, let me tell you now.

Bless you, bless you for taking sweet Pandy into your life and into your good care. You and Andy are the angels that she was looking for and needs so badly.

She must be hurting..........and I will pray that the surgery goes well.

Pet Talk - it is where you come when you need to be reassured that there are some GOOD PEOPLE left.
    Last edited by gini; 03-15-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Many prayers for Pandy from here. I had blind liver and white springer as a teen her name was Pandora pandy for short. Please post those pics soon! I still miss my loveing girl.

What wonderful giving people you and Andy are. What a lucky girl Pandy is to have found you. It sounds like fate has brought you together. You might want to apply for financial assistance to IMOM. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.imom.org/fa/

Bless you for helping the girl get a new leash on life.

Oh bless you for rescuing her!
    She sounds like a real treasure and I hope the surgery goes well for her. Often the very best dogs are "found" ones
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi