Thread: In tears....HORRENDOUS special on Animal Planet...

In tears....HORRENDOUS special on Animal Planet...

For the second time that I know of, Animal Planet is airing a travesty to snake owners everywhere. "The Big Squeeze". This program's entire purpose seems to be to make people more afraid of snakes and convince everyone who owns a constricting species that their snake is out to get them.

They have a list of the five largest snakes in the world, and for each species they're showing one or more people who were attacked by that species. I'm MORTIFIED! One man had a large Burmese python who attacked him, so his sister (I think?) cut off its head. WTFlip?! Any herper who has done enough research should KNOW that if a large snake like that is constricting you pouring alcohol into the corner of its mouth is almost always sufficient. If that doesn't work, HOT WATER! Idiots, Idiots, IDIOTS!

They showed a reenactment of the snake being stabbed, and I just fell apart. They only showed two people intelligent enough to actually own snakes. Kudos to those two!

Don't forget that legally you are obligated to have a second person with you ANY TIME you are handling a snake over ten feet...so most of these morons were breaking the law to begin with.

I'm writing to Animal Planet...this is NOT the sort of bad press snakes need. Yes, large snakes CAN be dangerous. They're generalizing though, and protraying all snakes in a hideous light.

I'm so unbelievably frustrated.
    Last edited by CathyBogart; 04-06-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I am sorry you had to see that. Sending you big strong hugs from me. (Ask certain other parties who may think I'm part boa constrictor ... Come to think of it, as an asthmatic kid in a family of asthmatics, we'd sometimes refer to a bad attack as the invisible boa constrictor getting too snuggly)

Do, please, write that letter, and sign it from all of Pet Talk, okay? I'm behind you 100% on this one.

Ugh. You know, it's the ignorance of others which ruins it for the rest of us who are smart enough to handle larger snakes.

I'm behind you on this one too - please let me know when you've finished the letter, I might have a few things to add to it.
    Select * from breeders where clue > 0
    0 rows returned
    Cheerfully Childfree

I agree thats wrong but to kinda think about all of it Animal Planet is a channel they need peopel to watch to make money and how do u make ppl wanna watch with violence and scary things etc Also most common people wouldn't know about that alcohol thing...I didn't but then again I don't have a snake and if I got one I would do alot of research to get all the info I could but yes animal planet shouldn't show this or they atleast should say something about the PEOPLE being the dumb ones

You know more about snakes then the people who did the show!

That is really awful, you should write a letter. Instead why don't they do a special on responsible snake ownership?

ziron might be right though, they just did it because it's scary, and that's what people like. Stupid people...

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I hope you will write to them, Wolfchan. It's comments like yours, written logically and responsibly, that they need to hear! I'm sure they looked at it as entertainment value for their network, but still, I understand your being upset at the display you saw. This is a program that I didn't see, nor would I have watched, probably, but someone as informed as you needs to speak up! I hope you really will do it.

Animal Planet seems to be following the news slogan "If it bleeds it Leads" slogan lately. Their series on Animal Control officers in Miami has been downright grotesque lately, to include graphic video of a dog's corpse after the dog died from being left in a car for three days in the summer in Miami. And to think I used to leave animal planet on for lady when we left her alone at home sometimes.......

As a result I refuse to watch their shows anymore.

that's terrible. Good luck with writing that letter too them.

Good luck with your letter!

Ignorance like that is disgusting, especially when it may encourage people to be cruel to snakes. Personally, I am terrified of snakes, but I would never advocate cruelty torwards them ... and yes, we do have lots of poisonous snakes in Australia!

Please let us know how you go ...

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Wolfchan, I agree with you. Its irresponsible (sp?) people that make it hard to keep snakes as pets. They should have a show that informs people of the precautions one should have when dealing with the animal and how to responsibly handle any problem while in contact with the animal. Maybe dumb things like people getting constricted to death won't happen nearly as often.

Good luck with your letter. They need to hear the opinion of someone that has a clue.

Good luck with your letter WolfChan, I know you can tell them a lot with your knowledge of snakes.

Which brings me to asking for some more Chubby pictures??

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!