Thread: almost housebroken...

almost housebroken...

I have a 6 month old long haired chihuahua who only messes (ie pees) when I am away at work. I take her out before and after I get home but it doesn't seem to be working, I don't want to put her in a kennel while I am gone but I don't like her peeing everywhere. I have tried the pee pads but she uses those randomly. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maybe you should go back at lunch times?
    How long do you work?
    shes only small so her bladder wont be able to hold it for a long time!!
    ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I really recommend kennel training her. It's really not as bad as it looks. It provides a secure place for the pup to feel safe in and you get piece of mind knowing that she is safe. Dogs have instincts that tell them not to mess in their dens (the kennel being her den). Once she knows that it's her place, she won't soil in it. When we crate trained Kai, he soiled the first night then was perfect from the second night and on. Also, you can keep her with you when she is out of the crate. Some people like to have the dog on a leash and attaching the leash to their belt loops. That way, you can be there to correct her if she soils in the house.

Don't get discouraged if she doesn't seem to be picking it up right away. We had Kai since he was 11 weeks old and didn't become fully reliable in the house until he was 9 months old. But now, he's perfect in the house. And remember, praise praise praise. When Kai peed outside instead of inside, I'd be cheering around like I just won the lottery. Also, when she soils inside the house, try to get the scent out completely. If you miss a spot, you can be sure that she'll soil on the same spot again. I usually use a pet-safe cleaner and cover it with half vinager/half water. Good luck!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]