Thread: My dog brought us a rabbit!

My dog brought us a rabbit!

This involves our sweet, loving, & very good tempered, 3 year old rottweiler, Kiana. This morning I let her out to potty in our fenced yard while it was still dark. I heard strange noises, but couldn't see a thing. I then heard a sickening cry, so called her back. To my surprise she came to the door with a full-grown rabbit in her mouth .. still alive thank God! She held it, but dropped it when prompted. The bunny laid there a few seconds, then was gone in a flash

My hubby immediately over reacted & said we'd have to put her down Yeah.. like I'll let that happen!

I told him I don't think it's a case of "once they've tasted blood..." since she didn't even break the bunnies skin. I feel she was only playing with the rabbit. Who knows.. she may have killed it had I not called her in, but I still feel she was only doing what's natural for dogs.. & bringing her prize to us. She just "got lucky" to find a bunny inside our fence.

Meanwhile, hubby's still calling her "bunny breath" & won't allow her near to him.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

There's nothing wrong with prey drive as long as it's controlled. If a rabbit was in my yard I know my dogs would try to get it. If there's a bird, squirrel, strange cat....etc in the yard they would try to get it as well.
    The great thing is that she dropped it when asked. Good dog!!
    As for your hubby, let him know that there are thousands of people in the world that feed their dogs a raw food diet (including meat and bones) and that their dogs aren't running around with a lust for blood gleaming in their eyes, LOL

If he's still worried, tell him to stop hopping around the back yard, nibbling on grass, and he shouldn't have a problem

Poor bunny...glad you were able to catch her in time!

Your dog was not doing anything abnormal. Dogs have a prey instinct built in, some having higher prey drives than others. I know for a fact any one of my 3 dogs (including the poodle!) would go after a wild animal in my yard.

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    There's nothing wrong with prey drive as long as it's controlled. If a rabbit was in my yard I know my dogs would try to get it. If there's a bird, squirrel, strange cat....etc in the yard they would try to get it as well.
    The great thing is that she dropped it when asked. Good dog!!
    As for your hubby, let him know that there are thousands of people in the world that feed their dogs a raw food diet (including meat and bones) and that their dogs aren't running around with a lust for blood gleaming in their eyes, LOL

If he's still worried, tell him to stop hopping around the back yard, nibbling on grass, and he shouldn't have a problem
    Well said! I can't agree more! She's just a dog, that listens very well (you could call her to you & she dropped it, not breaking the skin) better than what my dogs would do, bunny is their favorite meal!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Originally posted by Shelteez2
    LOLOLOL! Even hubby had to laugh at that one!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel better knowing she's just practicing her right to prey.. and not the cold blooded murderer my husband portrayed LOL

My dogs would kill a rabbit. Or a mouse, or a bird, or a cat, or a snake. And, sad to say, there is no way my dogs would drop it for me - no way!

This is perfectly normal behavior. Dogs are predators, just like coyotes, wolves and foxes. It is their nature, their very being, to chase down and kill.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I am utterly impressed that she released the rabbit on your command! Mine would never!

I am utterly impressed that she released the rabbit on your command! Mine would never!
    It's a terrier thing.

"We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien