Thread: When It Rains It Pours....

When It Rains It Pours....

I suspect Butterscotch is peeing at bedroom door again which means UTI. I woke up this morning at 2:45 a.m. to the "smell". We've been this route early springtime. He is sneaky about it because in the past his actions were that of disqust, he wasn't happy about something. Incidents were far enough apart (months) UTI didn't occur to us. Last episode this spring turned that theory up/side down. At least if he has to go on a food that promotes good UT, we can buy that at regular stores and it's something everyone can have.

A trip to our vet probably will be in order. Eventually the whole gang will be going to the new vet that we took Skinny. Our vet is wonderful just he is getting up there in years. I really like Skinny's because they both are young and progressive.

It's looking more likely this "low residue" diet is a waste of time/money for curing Skinny's problems.

Always something
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I feel for you, multple problems is the down side of multiple cats. But hopefully a trip to the vet and a dose of antibiotics can clear up this mess soon.
    Keep in mind that (as some people forget) a UTI and crystals in the urine are 2 DIFFERENT things. It could be either of those things causing this behavior. Make sure they are both checked for.
    Best of luck.

Back from the vet. A shot and 10 day supply of Albon
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Oh no, sorry to hear poor Butterscotch isn't feeling well. Hopefully the Albon will do the trick and he'll be better in no time. Now starts the fun of trying to get the pills in him.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I hope the medicine will clear it. What did the vet say?

Keeping our paws and fingers crossed for Butterscotch.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Actually he takes pills pretty good.

Sorry you're going through so much with your kitties!

Why do they even get UTIs? It seems like they are SOOO prone to them. We get the Chicken Soup cat food, which the pet store said was great for the urinary tract, but it hasn't seemed to help becaue Kate got a UTI while she was eating it.

Is Skinny's bowel problem actually causing him any problems? I mean - could he just tolerate loose stools, or is he loosing too much fluid?

Not to get too personal here - but my mom hasn't had a formed stool in decades and she does fine with it.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

stacwase,
    To look at Skinny one would never know he was having problems. He runs around like a crazy man, eats good and has gained 8 oz's. The potty situation needs to be corrected. They can't have loose potty. Skinny has done well in keeping fluids and eating, thank goodness. He had coccidia and the medications corrected that but did not eliminate the potty problem.
    At this point in time all normal stuff has been done to try to control loose potty. Medications, low resdue diet, yogart, Kopetac, haven't worked. It's looking more like he will be put on diet that is given for food allergys or irritable bowel.

I asked the vet today about whether Butterscotch needed to be eating a food that promoted UI good health. He told me what is available in the stores is high in magnesium which isn't good. A good quality food does just the same thing. I figured since we have to change way we feed around here soon might as well get him started on new food if that would help.

James Beloved and Natures best from Hills are good quality foods which are low in minerals etc.

My vet said feeding Hills Medical ID food is good for both upset bottoms (Bramble) and UTI (George had one attack)

So we feed all our cats, Hills Medical ID food but bear in mind this food only works properly is that is ALL your cat eats. No Treats, No Human food, No other food.

I have to admit, I also feed mine treats of wet cat food one can spilt between all 6 cats.

No human food here other than tuna. Treats in pouch. loves them We don't do can food. Thanks for the information on the Hills food. When they go back to normal food (they all been eating the low residue) which is Science Light/Purna One.

Butterscotch pouted for little while after coming home from the vets. After a couple treats and nice nap he is back to his old self. Laying next to me on my desk looking out the window.
    Pill time in little while

I'm sorry to hear that Butterscotch has a UTI. Hopefully he'll feel better soon. I also hope that Skinny's IBS can be cleared up soon. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck and please keep us updated.

krazyaboutkatz,
    Butterscotch is back to his old self.
    An interesting occurance yesterday with Skinny. He only got one dose of yogart (usually gets 2) yesterday that was around 5 a.m. Then I spent rest of the day taking care of Butterscotch, didn't give him the second round of yogart. Vet only recommended one time a day, I had added extra time. Well, his potty got more frequent and looseness returned (poor thing got half way in litter box one time and hit part of floor and the wall) buy late evening. Potty is less in amount each time but back to runny stage.
    By last night I was ready to call and get the venison/pea food. Now seeing what lack of yogart does I'm going to wait just little while longer. Skinny's vet did say let's wait 1-2 more weeks, we spoke on Friday.

I should write a book on this experience.

Thanks for keeping good thoughts, I really appreciate

Craftlady,