Thread: Bunny cage cleaning

Bunny cage cleaning

Julian is being a Pain right now, LOL. He has pellets in his cage. I always keep them across the cage far away from his water. Well Julian will bring his bowl of pellets to his water type them both over and make his cage REALLY nasty and make him nasty! Eww. The whole room will end up stinky. he gets in on the carpt the walls, everywhere! So EVERYDAY for the past 2 weeks I've come home, got a snack and gone to Julian room. I put Julian and Tyah in there rooms (Tyah in the bathroom Julian in my bedroom) I then spend the next hour and a half cleaning out the cages, wipeing down the walls and steam vaccing the carpet. Now, I don't mind, although I do wish he wouldn't, I do however understand. What bothers me is he has to sleep in this and stay with it all day long. The poor bunny has to walk in moosh (kinda like apple sauce or baby food). I'm not sure when he does it, but sometime during the night cause when I go in there to (go figure) give him more water cause he is out it's all over. I normally only have time to take the carpet out of his cage which cleans up most of the mess but then for another 8 hours he gets stuff all over his cage. Ok, so why don't I just take his pellets away? I mean he did just turn 1. I did take his pellets away. When I went in that night to give him Carrots he attacked the carrot and Parsley and he ate it quickly like he was starving, even though he had hay. So I was giving Tyah her food then went back over to J for head scratchies and he ran out of his cage and found some stray pellets and gobbled them all up. Hungry bunny? So what do I do? Should I take his pellets away and tell him to suck it up? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix Julian's mooshy pellet problem???

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

from my research on them when they are a year old you only give them limited pellets it was not much, but from the feeding schedual, it had pellets for the morning meal and greens for the evening meal, greens should be fine once they are a year old, well thats what I read in several places but I am not that bunny experienced yet my question is why is there carpet in his cage?? I just put runner mat on the bottom of karis pen because it gives her grip, and its easy to clean, and its cheap, all ya gotta do is take out the runner mat wipe it down with viniger water, and dry it off and put it back on the floor.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by cali
    my question is why is there carpet in his cage??
    Why not? I use Carpet for the same reson you use runner mates. Besides he is spoiled and loves his comfy carpet and all I have to do is vacum it when it gets dirty. It has rubber (or something like that) on the bottom so it grips REALLY nice to the bottom of his cage. He doesn't eat it so it's not harmful. it is also cheap. Since he is litter trained we've never had a problem with it. I'm not sure about the stuff you are talking about though. He has always been on carpet though, in my room and in his cage. Tyah does not, however, have carpet in her cage and you could not bleave how LOUD she is LOL!

I did lots of researh on bunnies before I got him. So I know all about limiting pelletrs, and anything else you'd ever wanna know LOL. He only get a certain amount of pellets in the morning. Carotts, Parsley and carrot green tops at night. Tyah get a carrot an 2 pieces of Parsley (just a baby).

Ash

Get those bowls that attach to the sides of the cage. I'm going to do smoething like that for Nibbles when he has to stay in his sleeping house when we are away.
    Nibbles

Also you could buy a heavy crock bowl or the plastic bowls that are wider at the bottom than they are at the top. The top edge is rounded and since the bowl is made of plastic the bun can't grip it in his teeth and turn it over.

Sounds to me like J is bored....does he have toys in his cage? Why are you keeping him and Tyah separate, I can't remember. The sooner you put them together the better....Keeping them separate like this is just encouraging them to become more territorial about their respective rooms and may make it harder to get them together. Since J is neutered I don't see a reason to delay even if Tyah isn't....
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

Ash, have you ever seen Thelmer's cage? I'm surprised you can see her in it! Julian's cage can't be that bad!

Originally posted by Daisylover
    Sounds to me like J is bored....does he have toys in his cage? Why are you keeping him and Tyah separate, I can't remember. The sooner you put them together the better....Keeping them separate like this is just encouraging them to become more territorial about their respective rooms and may make it harder to get them together. Since J is neutered I don't see a reason to delay even if Tyah isn't....
    I'm going to try again tonight, I waited till Tyah's face was healed, and then I was busy and you always say to have enough time. I'm finally done with my reports and everything. He acctually is getting better and better about her every day, although I'm anxouse for them to be together I don't want a repeat of what happened last time, or ruin there relationship even more! J has about 3 toys in his cage, which are rotated between his and Tyah's cage every day. They have enough diffrent toys that they won't get the toy they had today, for another 5 or 6 days.

I bought these bird bowls that attach to the side of the cage (rescomended by a friend on another board) that are working great for right now! I'm super exited! I came home to NO mess. Ahhh, I got to relax on the couch after school

Ashley
    Last edited by Aspen and Misty; 10-17-2003 at 03:46 PM.

I have heard that carpet isn't the best for cages as if the rabbits its it it can make it very ill, gets stuck in the gutts.

Originally posted by Heather Wallace
    I have heard that carpet isn't the best for cages as if the rabbits its it it can make it very ill, gets stuck in the gutts.
    It's kinda hard to explain. It's not really carpet. But they don't eat it. Trust me I look ALL over for spots and there are none.

Ash

Miss Hoppy has a water bottle like people use for Guinea Pigs in her cage. Any bowl we put water in - of any sort, was immediately dumped out, so a water bottle is neater, easier, and still quite accessible.

Mind you, she never has eaten pellets since she did the same to the "rabbit food" we tried to feed her when she first came home. Dumped the bowl over, then looked at me as if to say "That is NOT food." That's my parsley girl!