Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: White Tiger Mauls Roy In Vegas

White Tiger Mauls Roy In Vegas

A white tiger mauled famed Las Vegas illusionist Roy Horn during a performance by the "Siegfried and Roy" duo on Friday night, seriously injuring the magician on his 59th birthday.

Witnesses at the scene said the tiger, named Montecore, grabbed Horn's forearm. The magician hit him with his microphone and the tiger then lunged and bit him on the left side of the neck, causing profuse blood loss.

Horn was rushed to the University Medical Center, which said later he was out of surgery but still in critical condition.

The show has been canceled until further notice and the tiger, which was performing for the first time, is being quarantined at the hotel.

"The last place Roy would place blame would be with the animal," said Bernie Yuman, manager for "Siegfried and Roy."

White tigers and lions are a trademark of the German-born illusionists, who have been putting on one of the most famous shows in Las Vegas for 30 years.

Horn's partner in the show is Siegfried Fischbacher, 64.
    ~Kat

Well that's what he gets! He hit it with his microphone! He breeds this white tigers on purpose!

If he loved tigers so much he could go rescue cubs that came from horrible situations instead of breeding his own! Their wild animals, and that's what happens eventually. You cannot change that, no matter how many generations of tigers are born into the wild.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I just heard about this on the radio. I'm sorry, but I think Roy got what he deserved. You don't hit a TIGER over the head with a microphone!! No matter how much training you give a tiger they are still, at heart, going to be a WILD animal.

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

"'The last place Roy would place blame would be with the animal," said Bernie Yuman, manager for "Siegfried and Roy.'"

thats right! its not the tiger's fault, hes just doing what is natural to him. they are wild animals! those guys shouldnt be f-ing exploting those animals that way and forcing them to do stupid shows and performing all these unnatural tricks and sh**. im just glad he made it clear he isnt blaming the tiger. but GRRR. yes I agree, he got what he deserves. hsfdkhfdkfsdk;d
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

While I don't agree with what he did, I will admit that if a tiger grabbed my forearm I would instictivly try to defend myself anyway I could. However I wouldn't be stupid enough to try to work on stage with a WILD animal!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

While I disagree with wild animal shows, and circuses in general, and I dislike S & R specifically, I think the microphone hitting was a reflex. He was BEING BITTEN on the arm by a tiger when he did it.

Again, don't get me wrong, I cant imagine that the tigers have anything but a bad life, but to say he deserved it BECAUSE he hit the tiger who was biting him with his mike seems like oversimplification.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Uabassoon you beat me to it!
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

I think it tends to happen when you work with wild animals. You get sloppy. Just like the girl at Busch Gardens who had her arm ripped off by the lion. One little slip-up. That's all it takes. I mean, these are huge predators.

Now, on one hand.....they were doing a lot of conservation work. I believe (tho I may be wrong) that they did rescue work as well. From what I've read and seen the tigers (other than having to perform, which I hate) were just as well cared for as in the better zoos. Better in fact than many zoos and certianly circuses. Grrrrr....don't get me started on circuses who use animals.

I guess that's the risk you take when you choose to put yourself in that position.

I don't believe they're going to put the tiger down.
    ~Kat

I realize it was a reflex. My point was that a tiger is a wild animal, no matter how much you try to domesticate it.

Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
    Now, on one hand.....they were doing a lot of conservation work. I believe (tho I may be wrong) that they did rescue work as well. From what I've read and seen the tigers (other than having to perform, which I hate) were just as well cared for as in the better zoos. Better in fact than many zoos and certianly circuses. Grrrrr....don't get me started on circuses who use animals.
    I have heard that as well. I don't have anything to back that up, but I know I've heard several times that their tigers are very well cared for and they do do conservation work.

I agree completely, it's arrogant to assume you can truly (and have the right to) control a wild animal with twice your size. A powerful animal with a really big mouth.

Originally posted by RubyMutt
    I realize it was a reflex. My point was that a tiger is a wild animal, no matter how much you try to domesticate it.
    -babolaypo

-Sri Yogananda

-Ursula Leguin

I am not a fan of the circus with wild animals

I hate to see any animal "shown" in a circus environment. I enjoyed seeing them perform when I was a child, but now that I know they don't belong in the arena, I will not got to a circus. I did attend one circus not too many years ago that had no wild animals and had trained sheep dogs as one act. It was a riot. They were not very good, but hey, they were an act. Even the sheep dogs deserve better. Zoos, well, don't get me started. I suppose there is a middle road to take and I don't know enough about the zoos individually to judge them. Many new zoos are quite civil to the animals. And they are often educational resources as well.

I hope the gentleman recovers and then retires. In my opinion, no wild animal should be turned into a circus act.

"...and the tiger, which was performing for the first time, is being quarantined at the hotel.

Punish the animal for reacting on instinct.

But, Uabassoon you did sum it up pretty well.

SAS- I agree with you. Circus', zoos, wild animal acts...they just are too sad for me. I can't blame the animal...and I doubt these guys will either. Just part of the job hazard.

OK, I have to put in my two cents here...

They have done a LOT for tiger rescue. While I am against the exploitation of wild animals for entertainment, these tigers live VERY well. Unlike most entertainment animals, these tigers live in a sanctuary that my house could fit in several times. None if this changes the fact that Monticore is a wild animal.
    (Roy has said this for years BTW...he KNOWS the risks he is taking)

Roy is still critical, but has started speaking to people, so he's improving.

What happened was this (Getting this info from another forum BTW): Monticore was noticed to be limping slightly. Roy told him to "sit", and when he did not sit Roy tried to gently push him into a sitting position. When bitten, Roy thumped the tier on the nose to try and startle him into letting go, but the microphone in his hand made a "boom" noise, and the tiger did as he should be expected to and attacked the source of the noise. After that, he dragged Roy offstage.

Montecore is not going to be put down. (Huzzah!)

Thank you Wolf_Q!