Thread: Which collar??

Which collar??

Ok I admit it. Emily has a barking problem. And she's had it for 7 years.
    I used to be able to over look it by telling myself that since she wasn't allowed to bark in the house she could bark all she wanted while running and playing outside. And that was fine since the fields I took her to were isolated and not near any houses. But now I only really have access to places that are close to houses and well it's annoying to only be able to walk in the day light hours. Even then I am worried that someone will be bothered by her. Also I swear she is the only dog that barks in the offleash parks, whenever we go she's the only one you can hear.

So onto the point of this thread. I am looking into getting her a citronella collar. But I can't decide if I want the one that is set off by the vibrations caused by her barking, or one with a control so that I am in control of the correction. Or does anyone know if the one with the control has a switch that can change it to one that reacts to the vibrations??

Molly has the same problem. She's a HUGE barker, has been ever since we first got her. She also, is usually the only one at the dog park barking.
    I think getting the collar where it goes off when she barks is probably your best bet. I've had the one where you control and it did not work at all for Molly. It was a little hand held one and every time she would start barking, you press a button and they are supposed to stop.

Good Luck.

I used the shock collar on Dusty and Rosco once upon a time. The voltage is adjustable. I tried it on myself; it doesn't hurt. I think it mainly just startles the dogs. If I'd known about Citronella or the noise collars at the time, I probably would have tried them first though.

Originally posted by Tonya
    I used the shock collar on Dusty and Rosco once upon a time. The voltage is adjustable. I tried it on myself; it doesn't hurt. I think it mainly just startles the dogs. If I'd known about Citronella or the noise collars at the time, I probably would have tried them first though.
    I tried one on before, and it did hurt me. Maybe I have a low pain tolerance or something. I won't use one.

I wouldn't recommend using the collar that goes off by vibrations. I've seen some crazy things happen with that collar, especially if someone has 2 dogs. Other noises besides her own barks can set it off and get really confusing to her. Someone once had a problem of her dogs all of a sudden fighting. After talking to her, I figured the problem was that one of the dogs wore a citronella collar which got set off by the other dog barking. So the dog wearing the collar started picking fights with the other dog because she associated his barks with being sprayed.

Glad you're not considering the shock collar.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by aly
    I wouldn't recommend using the collar that goes off by vibrations. I've seen some crazy things happen with that collar, especially if someone has 2 dogs. Other noises besides her own barks can set it off and get really confusing to her. Someone once had a problem of her dogs all of a sudden fighting. After talking to her, I figured the problem was that one of the dogs wore a citronella collar which got set off by the other dog barking. So the dog wearing the collar started picking fights with the other dog because she associated his barks with being sprayed.

Glad you're not considering the shock collar.
    Well she would never ever have the collar on if I wasn't there. It's only going to be used when they are out running. Clipse doesn't bark hardly at all, and Emily barks all the time when she's running. Like this:

On an unrelated note I saw in one thread that you described your dog Reece as a possible bichon/poodle cross. That's kind of funny because every time I look at your sig I say to myself that Reece looks like a white version of my boss's dog Champ, who we think might be a bichon/poodle cross. Here's a couple pics for comparison.

Oh my gosh..May I ask who the papillon owns? I have a soft spot for those little guys.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Oh my gosh..May I ask who the papillon owns? I have a soft spot for those little guys.
    She's my boss's dog. My boss has 3 dogs, Champ the poodle/bichon?? cross, Holly the toy poodle, and Piper the papillon.
    Papillons are great dogs! Like itty bitty shelties

Originally posted by Shelteez2

On an unrelated note I saw in one thread that you described your dog Reece as a possible bichon/poodle cross. That's kind of funny because every time I look at your sig I say to myself that Reece looks like a white version of my boss's dog Champ, who we think might be a bichon/poodle cross. Here's a couple pics for comparison.
    ADORABLE PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He does look like a black version of Reecie !! I'm sure Reece would have a ball running around playing with those 3 dogs. He loves to befriend dogs that look like him
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya