Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions for the ohio bark park

questions for the ohio bark park

For the Birthday gathering at the ohio bark park I have some questions my mom wanted me to ask you all:

Ok, Do we have to bring a record of our dogs shots?
    Do we need to bring something to pick up after our dog?
    What if the dogs fight?

We never been to a dog park before and before we make any plans going we need to know this first. Thanks

I haven't been to any pt meetings/the ohio bark park but around here, you don't need shot records. But it's a smart thing to have (the shots..not the records lol) because dogs will be meeting and greeting other dogs. In dog parks, owners MUST clean up after their dog's waste. No one likes stepping on dog do-do. If you know that your dog is dog agressive..it's not a smart thing to let the dog off leash with other dogs around. The dogs would be closely watched I'm assuming...so any fights can be broken up.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I'm not sure about the record part.
    We didn't bring Simba's or Nala's.

They have brown plastic bags as well as a garbage can to pick up and throw it away in.

If the dogs "fight" which they all basically got along when I went, everyone watches out for everyone else's dogs. We just break it up or tell them to knock it out if they get rough.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Thanks for the avice I have a another question..

Does your dog need a lisence? I never new a dog needed a lisence until my mom informed me about it..She said we never got Katie Lisenced.

You never knew you dog needed a lisence?!!?!?

I'm not sure if you need them at the park but I believe it is a law down here.

I can't believe you don't have one.

-rx bandits

I know, I dont know what they are...This is new to me

Why do we have to have them?
    Where do you gfet them?
    How much are they? ect...

It's just like a human's ID card. We got ours when we adopted them. You can probably get them from the vet.

If Katie gets her shot, the vet should have probably asked about her not haveing lisences.

I'm not sure how much they are, but you have to get them renewed every year.

I still can't believe you don't have them.

-rx bandits

I know, I cant believe it either. Right now we need to get Katie's shots soon and when we go ill have my mom ask them

We didnt adopt katie from a shelter so we never got one and when we got Katie's shots in the past they never asked about a lisence..
    I feel like a bad owner

Hmmmm....I am unclear. Do you mean you have never had rabies shots for your puppy? Or, any innoculations? That sounds very irresponsible to me. Are you sure you aren't just confused?

As to the bark park...if your dog is not up-to-date on its shots, then, you shouldn't bring him/her to the park. It isn't fair to those of us that do keep our puppies up-to-date. You don't need to bring anything else, just yourself. The park provides poop bags.

If your dog is aggressive, it shouldn't be brought to the park. Why risk your dog's health, or another's, by doing so?

I think in most (if not all) states a license is required. When I got Nebo licensed, they did it down at the firestation at the beginning of the year. We had to have proof of a current rabies shot, if not, they did them for you. It was also less expensive if the dog was spayed/neutered. I think it was only around $8.

This obviously varies in different parts of the country...

I'd contact your city animal control, I'm sure they can give you some good info.

The first rabies shot your dog gets (usually around 4 months) lasts one year. After that they last 2-3 years, I think they have different kinds. If you are going to have your dog around other dogs, its a good idea to have *all* of the shots done as to prevent the spread of disease (to your dog and others).

I had Nebo's shots done about a week before we went to the park, and they weren't even due for another month...I'm paranoid and just wanted to have proof. I never did actually bring the papers to the park though, but he was wearing a rabies tag.

I think most dog parks DO require that your dog has current shots, they just don't have somebody sitting at the gate all day checking.

Im confused too, Katie is up-to date with her shots and everything shes a healthy dog. She insnt aggresive with other animals, She just doesnt have a lisence do we need to have one if she goes?

Okay Thanks for the info! ill have my mom get her llisence
    I reslly wonder why she never was in the first place

I'd make sure they are current....I've had so many people at work tell me their dog has current shots and they expired months ago. Call the vet you had them done at and make sure. You may even want to go over to the vet and have them print out the info. It's a good thing to have.

I don't know if a license is required to go into a dog park, but it is required by the law so you should get it done anyway. You will have to have proof of current shots to get a license.

If she is up-to-date with her shots, then, you would have been given a dog tag, saying"rabies vac"...I just looked at Binx's and I can't make out what it says...it has already wore off...

What county do you live in? I am going to check what Hamilton County requires....brb...

The vet gives us new tags everytime we get their yearly check up. It still amzes me you had no idea aobut them , lol

-rx bandits