Thread: Older Dog & some health problems

Older Dog & some health problems

Ok, Febe (spelled that way thanks to my little sister when she was 8) is about 12 or 13 years old. She has had diabetes for about two years and is blind. She is fed in the morning & in the evening when she also gets shots for her diabetes. Earlier this year my parents opened a busniness which has kept them very busy. Febe acts as she always has except now she is going to the bathroom in the house (which is partly cause of her illness and them working longer hours). My parents moved to live closer to their business and be closer to febe. They rent so they keep her in the bathroom during the day (typically they check in on her after about 6 hours) & it is a big bathroom. The problem is when she goes to the bathroom she can't see it so she ends up walking in it and making a mess! Does anyone have any suggestions I can pass to my parents on how to better help Febe? She is a wonderful dog that is full of life! Also, she tends not to empty her bladder when you take her out. She ends up barking and pacing two/ three minutes after you bring her back in wanting back out. When you take her back out, she goes again. I thought maybe a UTI along w/ the diabetes? Anyone else?
    In case my parents can't find another solution, does anyone know of anyone who takes care of sick dogs?
    Last edited by nodgeness; 09-15-2003 at 03:12 PM.

Has Febe been tested for a UTI, seen the vet? If cost is a factor, maybe you can drop off a urine sample and have it tested without having to take her in for an exam. Of course being a senior, , she's bound to have small accidents every now and then, but from your description, it does sound like it might be a UTI, needing to goamts frequently Is her diabetes under control? That too affects her output, frequency of urination. Is there any possiblity that your parents could have a neighbor/friend come by after a few hours to take her out? Her seniority, diabetes and possible UTI all might cause her to need to go before the 6hrs. I would definitely talk with the vet about this! Febe sounds like a sweetie! Please let us know how she's doing!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Febe is a wonderful dog & has been for the years my family has had her! I asked my parents to have her tested for the UTI but I think they both feel it's the diabetes. Yes, money has become an issue in her care w/ them opening a business but she has been treated & is being treated for the diabetes 2x a day w/ shots. My parents since moving have no one close that can help w/ letting febe out. It's sad because Febe isn't getting the time from my parents that she deserves & they feel guilty. Also it seems as if she has lost control of going. She'll be walking thru the house in front of everyone & just go, she goes while she's walking. This after she had just come in.
    Last edited by nodgeness; 09-16-2003 at 09:09 AM.

What about piddle pads? They're very absorbent, with a backing like diapers that won't allow the urine to leak through onto the flooring. You can also get "underwear" similar to diapers for dogs with bladder control problems, though Pampers are cheaper. Just cut a hole for the tail!

Would your vet prescribe antibiotics without a visit? Or like Sandra said, our vet will accept a urine sample from us, particularly since they get get one from our dogs .

They tried the pads & she still would go on the floor. I don't think they tried diapers because then they'd have to give her baths everynight & they don't have time for that. I feel really bad because they can't give the time to Febe that she needs & they feel just as bad!
    I think she gets nervous now when they leave because she knows they'll be gone for a while. This is something new to Febe because my mom used to work 2 minutes from home part time so she was home lots more.
    I'll mention diapers to them again & see what they think.
    They talked to a vet & the vet said most people by now would have put their dog down Is that true? I don't think it is!

I completely understand the challenges of a senior dog. Thankfully, our Murphy does not experience the diabetes issues that Febe has, but we understand completely about the wetting issues.

Just a couple of weeks ago, our vet put her on a hormone pill that has helped in that regard. It seems to be quite the problem with the older female dogs.

Best wishes to Febe and to your family as you deal with this. Just know that you have a friend in me, who appreciates your concern.

Logan

Originally posted by nodgeness
    They tried the pads & she still would go on the floor. I don't think they tried diapers because then they'd have to give her baths everynight & they don't have time for that. I feel really bad because they can't give the time to Febe that she needs & they feel just as bad!
    I think she gets nervous now when they leave because she knows they'll be gone for a while. This is something new to Febe because my mom used to work 2 minutes from home part time so she was home lots more.
    I'll mention diapers to them again & see what they think.
    They talked to a vet & the vet said most people by now would have put their dog down Is that true? I don't think it is!
    Well, don’t they already have to bathe her every night? I mean if she’s walking around in pee and poop then she needs a daily bath, since that can cause burns on their pads and it must get on her body, too. I don’t think it would be that difficult to wash her “privates” everyday. I mean that would take, what 5 minutes? And maybe a few minutes to dry her hind end off. Sorry, but that doesn’t sound like too much trouble for a long time family member to me.

And no, she wouldn't be put down yet in my house!

Pampers and a big pack of baby wipes should do it - she wouldn't necessarily need a complete bath! They can just pretend she's a baby!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Yes they wipe her down everynight after she walks thru it. Never thought of the baby wipes!
    Logan- what type of hormone pill is your dog on?
    Micki the reason I say it takes to much time w/ the bath is because my parents are both working 14-16 hour days, so it's hard for them to come home & have to clean that up everynight. Now since they moved closer to the business they are able to have more time w/ her. Still not the time that she needs or deserves!
    To be very honest I couldn't believe a vet told them that! I was really upset a vet could say that & yet I found myself happy that I go to a different vet!
    In case anyone was wondering I can't help my parents because I live out of state. As you can also see from my sig. I have two cats & not much knowledge w/ dogs much less a senior one.
    Last edited by nodgeness; 09-16-2003 at 03:14 PM.

Do your parents have a secure backyard? Is it possible that they could add a doggy door so that she could travel back and forth? I realize that she is blind, but she could gradually become accustomed to a doggy door.

Also, I don't think that a urine sample costs as much as a full checkup. You might want to look into it; atleast see how much it costs.
    I've been BOO'd!

As Wolfsoul has said, just having her urine checked is a lot less costly than an exam and test. At least there's the possibliity the a UTI could be ruled out. My Cody's on meds (since 1 yr. old) for urinary dribbling while sleeping due to post spaying hormonal issues. She's on phenylpropanolamine, a.k.a Proin. There's also diethylstilbesterol, DES, though that has consideralbly more potential side effects, such as bone marrow depression. I still think if someone could come by midday to take her out, it would help her considerably. Any chance they could put up a secure kennel with a dog house for her to safely stay in while they're at work? Doggie diapers, wee-wee pads would also help! I hope I don't offend anyone, but I have a HUGE problem with vets/owners who jump to the "PTS" option once a senior starts having, well, senior issues! I've taken care of human seniors in the hospital who are incontinent, have trouble ambulating, are periodically disoriented, etc. and we don't consider putting them to sleep! We take it as a normal part of aging and we do what we need to in order to make them comfortable! In all other respects, Febe sounds like a happy dog who still loves life. I can't understand why a vet would recommend euth. as long as the pup is not suffering and is still enjoying life. It's tough growing old, both for dogs and humans. I hope your family can come up with something to make Febe more comfortable and their lives a little less stressful. I'm sure it must be very hard on all {{{HUGS}}}

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Here's the thing, the house they moved from had a secure backyard. The new place doesn't :-(
    Another thing that is making this so hard on my parents is the fact that she is getting up 4 & 5 x's a night needing to be let out, which isn't allowing them any sleep. We all can admit after working 8+ hour days we want a good night sleep and w/ them working 14-16 hour days they aren't any different.
    UGH I don't know what the answer is here.
    I agree w/ the PTS as not being an option @ this time (I hope not)!!!!

I will talk w/ them tonight & see if they will take a urine sample in to be tested. If medication could solve this it would be so much better for all involved!

You know, the more you describe it, the more it sounds like a UTI. Such frequency, going small amts. throughout the day/night, are classic symptoms. UTI's can be treated successfully so easily and relatively inexpensively...I hate to say I hope that's it, but all things considered, I do. Is her diabetes under control? Are they able to check her blood sugar? If her sugar's high, she may be needing to go more often, though usually with diabetes it's larger amounts. Your parents know that, I'm sure. They sound like very devoted furparents who care greatly for their friend. I'll be thinking of your family and sending positive thoughts their way that a solution can be found.

Older dog

It sounds like either a UTI or unregulated blood glucose.

My dog is also diabetic. He also has a thyroid deficiency. He's been regulated for over 2 years and never goes out at night.

Sometimes blood glucose levels can go haywire for a time without any obvious reason. Stress can do it. I'd probably head for the vet for an expert opinion.

There is a lot of good information on the message board for [email protected]. The first few sections are excellent for information and the rest are messages from people who have diabetic dogs.

I hope your parents can find the time and money to see a vet now so they can solve the problem long term.

Keep us posted.

Mary

Big thanks to all your post! I'm going to look @ the site Mruff suggested & then talk to my folks again!