Thread: Standard Poodles?

Standard Poodles?

Help!! I have fallen in love with a standard poodle -- his people say his breed is fine for a condo ... so I called breeders .... whoa! expensive!!
    Are there any Standard Poodle people here? what are the pros and cons?
    I don't have a dog now, but two cats -- a calico and an Egyptian Mau ....both 2 years old ...
    I appreciate any feedback.
    Blessings, Angelica

Angelica welcome to Pet Talk!! I am the happy owner of a very special standard poodle named Bella! She is my second standard, my first being Whitney who left for the Rainbow Bridge in 1996. I have only wonderful things to say about this breed. My two have been a joy to own and are/were extremely smart, great around other dogs, people, small children and even cats! Both of mine were raised with cats and they get along wonderfully. The only "con" that comes to mind is the grooming. They definitely need to be groomed every 4-6 weeks and it can be expensive. The alternative is to learn to do it yourself. It's not hard really but very time consuming. My groomer charges $45 to groom Bella and I also groom her myself. As part of the grooming and nail clipping procedure they need the tiny fuzzy ear hair plucked from their ears when they are groomed. It has a tendency to build up and can mix with wax and develop infection and/or odor. Other than that, I say go for it!!!!!! I would love to see another standard poodle owner at Pet Talk! I have also have had toys and minis. The black mini in my signature is Ripley. I rescued him from a shelter in January and he is a little sweetie. If you are having trouble finding a breeder, or just find that they are too expensive for you, please do take a look at shelters. I have never seen a standard at a shelter though, but I am sure there must be some that unfortunately wind up there. Good luck to you and please keep in touch and let us know about your new furry one.

I was just going to post..."Pam is!" LOL! I should have known you'd be here in a flash! Can't ever hear enough about the bellisimo Bella!!

Welcome to Pet Talk, Angelica! Good luck with your search for a Poodle! They make wonderful companions; just ask Pam!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I have no dogs, but I work with dogs. Standard poodles are truley one of the nicest breeds that cross my grooming table. But yes.....grooming can be rather expensive and upkeep at home is extensive. Pam, I believe, keeps Bella in a short, easy to maintain clip. MOST standard poodle owners do NOT. A longer clip that leave the hair longer on the legs is the most popular but can run you $80 every 6 weeks and that is ONLY if you do not allow the dog to get matted in between groomings. Personality wise, I have NEVER met a standard that I did not like. They are playful, but not hyper like the smaller ones can be. They are smart and gentle and seem to be well-behaved and quieter than smaller poodles.
    Just my 2 cents.

You Can Also go to Petfinder.com...type in Standard Poodle in breed field
    Your city,state zip...they will pull up any rescues for you

or try poodlerescue.com.....

nice way to save a life and adopt a Great Breed at the same time!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

thank you

Hi everyone --

Thanks for all the info on Standard Poodles --

Now I really want one!!

The SPCA in Vancouver, BC has never had a Standard show up -- and I have sent e-mails to the rescue groups I could find on the net, but no one has answered --- I know it will happen at the perfect time.

Blessings, Angelica

i love standard poodles, well i love all kinds of poodles, but standard is my favorite!
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~