Thread: Has anyone ever tried NRG dog food?

Has anyone ever tried NRG dog food?

http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/index.html

I've been feeding the BARF diet to my four year old lab and dobie for about three years now, and just wanted to try something different because I was worried about some of the things I've seen in the foods from my supplier. (Fresh Start RAW) I was referred to the NRG but am unable to find much reviews on it online and it's not listed at the golden's site. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with it and whether they'd like to share it with me. I want my dobie to gain some weight because he looks a little too skinny no matter how much I feed him in one sitting, so I increased his feeding to twice/day. It will get quite expensive to keep him on the barf or nrg with so much food. He is so hyperactive that I would bet he needs twice the recommended starting amount of any of these foods. He does not sit still for a second, pretty much 24/7! Thanks in advance!

WW! Another Vancouver person on PT!! Where abouts in Vancouver are you? I'm right along the burnaby border on the East side.

I haven't tried NRG. I actually have never heard of them.

I used a lot of "Mountain Dog Food". The dogs seem to like it and they say the meats come from good sources.

Have you tried "True Carnivores" in Kerrisdale? They'd probably be able to recommend a good type of food.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

A breeder I know uses NRG. She doesn't use it as a complete food though, she adds it to the kibble she feeds. A friend of mine takes care of her dogs now and then and when they are being fed the NRG they have soft stools, but if she cuts the NRG out and just gives them kibble they have normal stools. I don't know if that has anything to do with the NRG or with the fact that you have to soak it as it is dehydrated. ??

*Thanks Ashley*

My boss sells NRG she says that's it wonderful. But that's pretty much all I know about it.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I'm trying it now...

So far, on the first day, my lab threw up a little bit, and their stools were kinda runny, but the second day on (I think I'm on like the fifth or sixth day now) everything is perfect. The only problem is that it is quite pricey. I also added a second meal to the dobie using innova.

I've been to True Carnivores before, about three or so years ago. I'm in east van also, right by Nanaimo St.

nrg DOG FOOD

[QUOT E=dbi;748666]http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/index.html

I've been feeding the BARF diet to my four year old lab and dobie for about three years now, and just wanted to try something different because I was worried about some of the things I've seen in the foods from my supplier. (Fresh Start RAW) I was referred to the NRG but am unable to find much reviews on it online and it's not listed at the golden's site. I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with it and whether they'd like to share it with me. I want my dobie to gain some weight because he looks a little too skinny no matter how much I feed him in one sitting, so I increased his feeding to twice/day. It will get quite expensive to keep him on the barf or nrg with so much food. He is so hyperactive that I would bet he needs twice the recommended starting amount of any of these foods. He does not sit still for a second, pretty much 24/7! Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I am using NRG for my Boston Terrier on the advice of her breeder and I must say I am very pleased with it. My dog really loves it and whereas before I had to encourage her to eat, she now comes running when she hears me get her food ready. She eats the roasted chicken and vegetable food . Sometimes I will reduce the amount of the nrg recommended and give her home cooked vegetables with the food -----big favourite with her. I don't think I have found a better food and I feel good about feeding her this. I feed her twice a day and in the afternoon she has 2 or 3 home made treats when we have our "tea" . I highly recommend the food ----and I have tried several holistic brands, none of which seem as good as this.

I am trying NRG pet food too.

I have a 8 months old maltese mix. She is one of the pickiest eater. It has been two days that I am feeding her NRG Maxim Chicken and she goes crazy, can't get enough of it which I am very happy. Her stool is a little bit soft but not too bad.

Although I was wondering if this diet alone would be enough nutritionally? As it does not contain additional minerals and vitamins. Does anybody know about this?

It looks pretty veggie heavy. If you decide to go with it, I would think about adding some of your own ground meat to it or something. Just because dogs don't really need all that veggie. And it might help the food last longer.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Hi everyone!

I'm a big fan of dehydrated food, aside from raw, if you're into that.

My 2 1/2 year Multi-poo (Mila) has been on Ziwi Peak (Venison) for about 2 years... she loved it and did very well on it. Venison is one of the leaner meats. Her stools are small and firm but I've been noticing she hasn't been all that regular for quite some time now- almost as though it's "too" constipating for her. She drinks lots of water and gets hours of walking and running every day. We all know how bad long-term constipation can be sooo I decided to try N-R-G. Btw, before I go onto NRG, I have a dog walking/doggy daycare business and many of clients who have dogs with upset tummy's, allergies, runny stools, etc., switched to Ziwi and their dog has never been healthier and all have small/firm stools. After taking Mila off kibble as a puppy and onto Ziwi, she too has never been healthier- shiny coat, lots of energy & never been to the vet besides a check-up! I do however add Sea Meal and an oil supplement to her food every day. Oh right, the second reason I decided to try another food was she always seemed to be hungry. I know... dogs are always hungry, but Ziwi does lack in Fibre. The more I fed her, even the smallest increase, she would put on weight, despite the hours of walking she got, and she still seemed to fall short mid-day / late afternoon. Poor girl!!

She is now on NRG (Salmon), twice a day and goes crazy for it! Literally circles the hallway into the kitchen after coming in from our first outing. Because it has fibre (one being Oats, which is not classified as a grain, I know as I have Celiac Disease) and from the veggies & fruits (I believe dogs should get veggies in their diet, you'll see it in most raw food diets as well), it's keeping her satisfied until her next meal, so it seems, but best of all her energy levels have spiked significantly, without that mid-day slump. Yes, her stools are a little bigger and a little softer, but as long as a dogs stool stays intact and you can pick it up without it falling apart, it's all good! She's also having regular bowel movements so I feel much better (I'm sure she does too teehee!). I still add sea meal (her wonder powder!) and oil supplement. I also give her Brewer's Yeast, in tablet form, another great product. It also prevents fleas (flea's hate Brewer's Yeast so they'll avoid your dog and jump to the next- literally lol). Now I don't have to give her that powerful toxic flea treatment anymore, that made her feel so crappy.

I do not feed her anything, treats included, with- grains/wheat/gluten/soy/corn/fillers/preservatives/by-products/meat meal... they're all toxic in my mind.

Regarding the Maxim NRG, it's my understanding this is for "large breeds" so you might want to double check on that. "Vitality" is for smaller breeds.

Kibble is a no-no in my books and from all my research and asking around, so I would NOT add dehydrated food to kibble. You could use Ziwi (as a topper) alongside NRG, being the main source of food if you want to add another protein to your dog’s diet. Or NRG on top of raw.

Remember, if your dog has a sensitive tummy, you should try a new food out for at least a month or two to truly see if it's the one or not. Ideally you should introduce a new food "slowly", mixed in with the old food, eventually removing the old food all together. Mila was fine switching right away, but she's never had a problem with this so I figured she would adjust well.

Hope this helps Fire away if you have any others questions.

Tanya & Mila
    Yaletown Puppy Love

nrg dog food

My dog noah has been on NRG VITALITY for 2yrs. now. He has allot of allergies and this is the only food that he is able to eat. It is well worth the price it works out to be $1.80 for every 10lbs of your dogs weight. The 7kilo box is $112.00 with tax and last for about 3 months for an American Lab. NRG dog food provides total nutrition for a dog.

Can't tell what's in it from their website. How could I trust it without seeing the ingredients?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton