Thread: My cat Jasper is eating twigs and blood in stool

My cat Jasper is eating twigs and blood in stool

Hi everyone,
    For the past 4 months or so, I've noticed that there is blood in Jasper's stools. I've also noticed occasionally oozing out of his behind a little when he lifts his tail while he's near me. I've taken him to the vet to address this on several occasions, and they have advised me to change his diet from the Iams weight control cat food to the Iams special digestive kind--The veterinarian felt that the weight control kind was too rough on his intestines causing bleeding. Now that I have changed his diet, I still find blood in his stools. Then, this morning I had a break through and discovered little twigs in his stool. I feel strongly that this is what is causing the bleeding. One of his biggest joys in life is to go outside on excursions whenever possible to explore the neighborhood, to visit his mistresses, to settle scores and whatever else. Now the question is: How do I keep him from eating these damn sticks--Or, put differently, what might he be lacking in his official diet that he gets in the little sticks. I know that cats and dogs often eat grass and stuff like that to clean out their systems when they vomit it up, but I never find vomit around the house and the little sticks are clearly coming out in his stool. If anyone has insight into this, and can offer some sound advice, please let me know because it will go a long way for me.

Thank you in advance.

Jasp's concerned Mom

I'd say keep him inside and keep him safe. Too much for a kitty to get into trouble with outside!

I'm afraid it's not a dietary thing, but a behavioral one. And there's no way to keep him from doing it other than limiting his outside time to supervised, on-leash outside time, as he's probably scarring his poor inestinal tract with the sticks!

See if you can get him some very crunchy - but Cat-Digestable - treats, to give him instead of the sticks, which he probably likes the texture of. Did the vet check his teeth?
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know what these sticks are, but Fister had blood in his stool when I fed him Hills S/D only. The vet's assistant recommended to mix it with Hills W/D, so I did. After that there was no problem with blood in his stool.

In Jasper's case, it might be something entirely different, though.

Good luck solving the problem!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I agree.. limit his outdoor time and range carefully or don't let him out, and keep in close contact with the vet.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I don't know what these sticks are
    Sticks are the same at twigs - tiny fallen part of trees or shrubs.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by blackcatpack View Post
    I know that cats and dogs often eat grass and stuff like that to clean out their systems when they vomit it up,
    No, this is a myth. When they eat grass, they are in need of chlorophyll and healthy greens, as they are not getting enough of it in their diet. Not sure how this translates to him eating twigs though.

When you feed a raw or homemade diet, rather than commercial foods, you are adding these healthy greens in the mixture. These dogs and cats don't eat grass.

Thank you

Hi Everyone- thank you for your responses. I noticed that the small twigs that were in Jasper's poop were probably from a dead plant I had in the patio in the back. It used to have thyme and other herbs in it but they died and had dried out. It apparently seemed like a tasty snack for Jasper. I am considering not letting him go out anymore. The other day he came in with some beige cat fur in his front paw, two pieces of claw stuck in the fur above one of his eyes and some cuts on his nose. It was clear that it was a pretty bad fight. As much as he loves going out, I don't want him to get hurt.

It will be better for him in the long run, for all those reasons. Keep an eye on him so the wounds don't get infected, and tell him "No more adventures, time to stay home!"
    I've Been Frosted

I agree that being indoors would be much healthier for him. Is he neutered yet? If not then this would also explain the reason why he's getting into fights with other cats and the reason he wants to stray. I would also get him neutered if he isn't. This will also help his health and will help to calm him down too. Good luck.

PLEASE don't let Jasper go out any more.. unless on a leash or in a closely restricted area without access to outside dangers...

for both his sake and that of the others he might get into fights with.
    Last edited by phesina; 02-11-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by blackcatpack View Post
    It used to have thyme and other herbs in it but they died and had dried out. It apparently seemed like a tasty snack for Jasper. I am considering not letting him go out anymore.
    THAT makes a lot of sense. He needs healthy greens. The easiest way is to buy some Barley cat and sprinkle it over his food. You can also get alfafa sprouts for him, or grow them yourself.

Here is one link, shop around for price:
    http://www.vitacost.com/Green-Foods-...r=GO4371078521

Yep, indoors is always better for cats. It's a dangerous world out there for kitties. And Jasper could end up eating something that he can't pass which would mean surgery. I do hope that he's doing better now.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11