Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where were you on 9/11?

Where were you on 9/11?

Lets all light candles Saturday and place them on your front porch/door steps in memory and in tribute of those who lost their lives that horriable day.

Where were you when you head the news that day?

I had just left my daughters house on my way to Florida with a stop off to sign the papers on the new home I was fixing to buy. I wasn't 15 minutes from her house when I heard it on the radio. I was going to Florida to pack up to move back to Louisiana. I stopped at the office to sign the paperwork on the new house and someone was standing in the door of the office, waving me to hurry up and get inside.. The second plane had just hit the tower and I almost cried when I saw the replay of it on their TV. The person at the door that was waving me inside thought I was just out on my way somewhere and stopped at the first place I came to after hearing it on the radio. She was surprised to find out I was there to sign papers.

I went on to Florida, GLUED to the radio and scared to death. People were checking their kids out of school taking them home all over the place, they were saying on the radio THIS WAS WAR and America was under attack! I think that was the scariest day of my life! I knew our world was fixing to change in a way we have never seen and it has!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

washing dog dishes at the vet clinic I worked at. I had the radio on, as always. People were talking about the planes hitting the twin towers. I wandered around to the front lobby where the TV was and saw that the Pentagon was just hit. It was very surreal for the next few days. There was a military base across the road and the usual background noise of jet planes constantly flying over was suddenly not there any more.

On 9/11, I had left town early morning on a seniors bus tour to Amish country. Since the places we visited were without radio or TV, we were oblivious to the news all day. The bus returned that evening at dinnertime - we noticed roads closed off surrounding the military base near our home. We all knew *something* was very wrong but it was not until I returned home about 6pm that I learned what had happened. Like, Laura said, the world has not been the same again.

I was getting ready for work and had the radio on. When I heard what happened I turned on the TV. I worked at a day care, so we had a quick meeting about how we would approach this with the children. Mainly the school age children. We also had the TV on in the break room all day to keep up to date.

I still get tears in my eyes when I think about all the innocent lives lost that day. So unnecessary and so sad.

We will be flying our flag on Saturday outside our house.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I would have been playing with my toys, hey I was only 4 by then. I didn't know the meaning of aeroplane crashing. Still weird why some ppl want to do that.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at work and on the phone with a client in TX who worked from home. She had her t.v. on and she told me she was looking at a report that a plane had just hit one of the Twin Towers. We speculated back and forth - a small plane? - a big passenger plane? No one knew that early, as it had just happened. My office was across the hall from the kitchen/break room and there is a t.v. in there. After I got off the phone with her, I went over and turned the t.v. on and saw it all unfolding. People started streaming in to see what was happening also, since they were learning of it thru phone conversations, or their computers. Not much work got done in the office that day.
    I had two sales reps from the company that lived in that area - one in NY and one in north Jersey. The one in NY - his wife worked in that vicinity, and the one in NJ - his fiance was scheduled to be right there at GZ for a meeting. I also had a friend who had visitors from out of state, that were taking a day trip to NYC that day, to see all the sights. All of these people went thru a living hell for hours and hours, not knowing if their family and friends were dead or alive, since all communication failed - even cell phones. It wasn't until later that day when they found out that they were safe. I can't imagine going thru any kind of mental torture such as that.
    All of those horrible pictures of the towers, all the destruction, the people running thru the streets covered in ash and dust, and so many more - those are images I have never been able to get out of my head.
    I haven't been back to NYC since then. I used to take the train up with friends occasionally, for shopping or a show. The first thing I would see of NYC from across the river, was the WTC - it was a beautiful sight to see. Now it's gone..........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I was at the pet boarding "kennel" I worked at. It was a very quite day, only a few pets (early September was always really slow). My boss and I were the only ones working that morning. My boss' husband called to tell us the news and we quickly turned on the TV we had in the back. A little while later my husband came by, they closed his work and sent everyone home. My boss then told me to go home too, her husband was coming to take over for me.

My boss later learned that her cousin died in the World Trade Center that day.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I was on my way up Montgomery Road, to an early hair appointment, and first heard some very little news on the radio. I went into the salon, and was listening to some talk as it unfolded. I remember one girl complaining about her trip to some where being cancelled, and at the time, thinking, "oh, it isn't that bad of a situation, is it?" Then, I left there and realized the horror of it all.

I was at work, and my boss had a small TV on in his office, and called us all in when the first reports came in. We were still watching when the second plane hit, on live TV. We were stunned, and wondered what it all meant. After a while, we returned to our desks, and then heard heart-wrenching screams from downstairs. The partner (life, not business) of the floral designer who worked downstairs was on one of the planes that hit the World Trade towers.

The air overhead went silent - remember, I am one town west of Boston, where two of the planes originated. All air traffic was stopped, when it is normally a busy airport. I called Lady's Human, as he was home with his daughter, she had been born less than a month before, and he was still in the Army Reserves. I told him to turn on his TV, and call in to base. A few hours later, a fighter jet, patrolling, overflew our area, which continued for a while.

After work, I urged our pastor to open the church for prayers, but I went instead to the calling hours for a beloved church member, Donna Park, who had lost her battle with breast cancer.

It was a strange, surreal sort of day.
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    With the time difference, it was still very early in the morning here when we saw it on the news.

I was scheduled to fly to work in Prudhoe Bay that Tuesday. The planes didn't fly for almost a week.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

The sort of funny thing about 9/11 is I think that everyone old enough to remember, remembers where and what they were doing the moment they heard the news.

I remember I was in 6th grade. I saw the towers fall on t.v. at home (school didn't start til about 9) and of course it caught my eye but I had no idea. When I got to school there was a lot of confusion and a lot of joking around (middle schoolers are ridiculously immature!) about what was happening because I don't think everyone understood what was really happening in our country. I finally heard what really was happening from various teachers throughout the day. I remember sitting in my art class praying that it would stop and for the victims.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I had a doctor's appointment that day so I would be going into work a bit late. I remember turning on the radio and hearing the dj's talking about a plan crash. My roommate at the time received a call from some friends on the east coast and they told her to turn on her tv. We both watched what was happening and couldn't believe it. I later went to to my appointment and they had the radio on so I could hear the latest updates. When I got to work we had the tv on in the break room and I was able to see more of this horrible tragedy. Yes, the world hasn't been the same since.

9/11 - I was where I am right now, at work. I was on the phone with Bill, my favorite customer, and he said, "Maggie, a plane just flew into the World Trade Center." I concluded that call, and immediately went on line to find out what I could, then the second plane hit. My computer was the only one in the building that was able to stay on line so everyone kept checking in with me. I think the amount of traffic on line just bumped many off line. Functioning was very difficult; we were at war and I hadn't heard those words in a very long time. Later on, my husband and I were watching reports and saw all those people crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on foot trying to get away. We were trying to get ahold of his aunt in Brooklyn; she was then in her mid 80's, living alone, and had no air conditioning except in her bedroom. We kept thinking of all the debris she must be breathing and hoping she could survive it (she did, and is still in that apartment). I'm still getting goosebumps about that day.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I was teaching 5th grade. I walked my class to P.E., and the P.E. teacher told me what was happening. I went to the school library where several of us watched events unfold on TV, and eventually went down and watched with another of the 5th grade teachers in her classroom. We were asked to shield the students from the news as much as possible, but the school was on lock-down. (We were in metro Atlanta, nowhere near the attack sites, but still near a major city.) We teachers were able to get more information at lunch from those who had been able to get news while we were teaching. That whole day/time was just frightening on so many levels.

Wow...I got chills reading all of these posts. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was here at work and we heard it on the radio. My first thought was my children at school. They would have been 11 and 14 at the time. I remember being glued to the television set every night for I don't know how long hoping and praying they would find more survivors.

I like the idea of lighting candles.