Thread: Marking

Marking

I know I've posted a lot of threads lately about my dogs, sorry! hehe I just have some questions.

Sam used to have a marking problem as a pup, marked everything from furniture to your legs! Once we got him neutered the problem was solved. Unfortunately when Springen came to live with us a little over a year ago, he started marking every once in awhile again in the house. Now we have moved into an apartment with new carpeting, and Springen no longer lives with us. He has started marking EVERYWHERE. We are treating him like a puppy again, making sure he is in rooms with us and kenneling him when we are gone (luckily he loves his kennel).

BUT the minute you take your eyes off him he slips off to go mark something, and you don't find it until days later. This is proving difficult to stop, as it's not like a little puppy who makes mistakes... he's doing it on purpose. It's so frustrating because we moved into this place with nice new carpet and now the place reeks like pee!! I can't find all the spots to clean them up... aghh!

Why would this be? How can I stop it? I feel like if I watch him every minute, it doesn't help because he WANTS to pee in the house. I don't want to treat him like a puppy forever when before I had a housetrained dog!

Before we had a yard, and now we have to take him out, so maybe that's part of it? But we definitely take him out often enough and he doesn't drink a whole bunch.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Most likely, it is a "boy dog" thing.

Have you considered keeping belly bands on him when he is in the house? They are fabric wraps, velcro closure. You put in a Poise pad (works MUCH better than a sanitary napkin as the fluids are different so the composition of the pad is different) Just change the pad when wet. Don't leave a wet one on him, like a baby he can get diaper rash.

Your landlord can appropriately charge you for new carpeting plus cleaning out the smell from the wood under the carpet (which involved replacing the wood, NOT inexpensive!), so you need to get on top of this quickly!

This is where I bought the ones for my RB Ozzy:

http://www.pawstoadmire.com/

In fact, you will see photos of Ozzy and my other 3 pups in the photo gallery!